Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering a bit

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Mine is at 36/40, that is what the tire place set it to. I have to admit it drives much better at those pressures than it did at what I had it with the old tires.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was thinking tire wear in. I've put on over 350 miles trying to break them in. How long do you guys think it takes to properly break in tires?

I will check tire pressure.

BTW, the lower ball joint boots are cracked/torn.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

that's plenty of break in
busted boot isn't ideal, but doesn't tell you if joint is smoked

Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
that's plenty of break in
busted boot isn't ideal, but doesn't tell you if joint is smoked
I will lift tomorrow and see what's up.

I'm guessing that if you go thru the trouble to replace the boot, might as well replace the joint as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
I will lift tomorrow and see what's up.

I'm guessing that if you go thru the trouble to replace the boot, might as well replace the joint as well.
Yep. Ball joints aren't horribly expensive, it's the getting to them that sucks. Well, that and getting them out. But yes, if you're tearing it down then just replace the joint too.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Yep. Ball joints aren't horribly expensive, it's the getting to them that sucks. Well, that and getting them out. But yes, if you're tearing it down then just replace the joint too.
Agreed. Did my tie rod end yesterday and took me 2 hours. It was rotted in and took half a can of PB Blaster and working it till it finally came out. Had I known what a pain it would be, I would've just bought the entire track rod and be done with it. The crappy part is, when the right side fails, I'll have to buy the track bar anyway.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Agreed. Did my tie rod end yesterday and took me 2 hours. It was rotted in and took half a can of PB Blaster and working it till it finally came out. Had I known what a pain it would be, I would've just bought the entire track rod and be done with it. The crappy part is, when the right side fails, I'll have to buy the track bar anyway.
Note for later, you can buy aftermarket rods with replaceable screwed ball ends both ends and also HD versions. They aren't too expensive either.

The following users liked this post:
SDinDS (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I replaced my tie rod ends with the Terrafirma hd kit.

Or are you referring to something else?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Disco has all factory original suspension and steering components (except the P/S pump) I'm referring to the left tie rod that threads into the track bar. Since it was never changed, it was rotted in place. What I should have done was buy the entire track bar from AB ($155 I think) Would've made life easier.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

My Disco has all factory original suspension and steering components (except the P/S pump) I'm referring to the left tie rod that threads into the track bar. Since it was never changed, it was rotted in place. What I should have done was buy the entire track bar from AB ($155 I think) Would've made life easier.
LAND ROVER STEERING DRAG LINK & TRACK TIE ROD END BAR SET x2 DISCOVERY 2 TF255 TERRAFIRMA | Miami British Corp.

Quick Reply: Wondering a bit