Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Won't Start...

Hey Everyone,

I am stuck. I just picked up a project 1995 D1 for $600. I drove it home from the guy I bought it from fine with no issues. The guy had too many projects, this thing is perfect for a project rover. All it needed was a tune up (it had a miss) and brakes need to be replaced. I got it home, it sat for a day or two i ordered plugs, wires, cap, rotor and air filter. I replaced them while it was sitting in the street. It was almost out of gas so I put about 2.5 gallons in and some Lucas Oil gas treatment. When I went to start it and move it into the garage it wouldn't start... I tried a few times and it just wouldn't start, I then killed the battery (it was old) and bought a new battery.

I noticed that the coil looked a little on the corroded side, could this be an issue?

With a new battery and full tune up, no check engine light, I smell plenty of gas after I crank it. Is there something I am missing? All of the fuses look ok... I have searched the site and I can't find anything that really applies to my situation.

The thing that kills me is that I drove it home without any problems... It started right up at the previous owners house a couple of different times. I didn't change the timing at all or adjust anything while giving it a tune up.

Any help is appreciated. I don't post much because when I search I find exactly what I need.

Thanks

Andy

Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 PM

If you can smell gas, then I suspect spark. When you changed the plugs/wires, did the wires go back on the cap in the right order. I know, simple, but I've messed up the order more than once...

Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I triple check that with the Atlantic British Website. I even tried the old cap and rotor with no change. It is the strangest thing to me. I am hoping I didn't buy a large paperweight...

Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Think positive! Rovers can sense how you feel. I seriously believe this. If i get mad at mine it will let something else brake. But if I think things are starting to shape up with it. Then it rewards me by not breaking haha.

But in all seriousness you still have probably spent less than $1000 on your rover. It may be something simple, hopefully it will shape up and make a sweet ride for you.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Thanks,

Since this is not my daily, I am not too concerned. I am still positive. I was hoping it was something I just missed and Disco Mike or Spike would know exactly what it was...

I have just confirmed the battery is fully charged. I am going to order an ignition coil tomorrow from Atlantic British and hopefully that solves it.

It is going to be a super cool project. The guy put brand new tires on it that were a little too big, then never really drove it. I am thinking a mild lift and some other mild goodies to make it daily drivable but very trail-able.

I will post some pics of the day I got it and each step of the progress made.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are not getting spark, pull a spark plug and attach the plug wire to it and have a friend crank it over just to confrim this.
Being a '95 it has to be either the coil or the ingnition module, lets hope its the coil as it is cheaper.
It does not have a crank sensor so that cant be it.
But you are flooding it so remember that it will be hard to start when flooded even with strong spark.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Thanks, that is what I was starting to think... The cheaper route is obviously better... I will update when I get the new coil and try it out.

Thanks again Spike

Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Drifting
Default Update

Ok, so I am really stuck and really really frustrated... I have replaced the coil, it has a great amount of fuel pressure, the fuel filter was recently changed, I am getting spark, I double checked the gap on the plugs they are fine. I am at a complete loss here. I drove the thing home, that is the most frustrating part about it. I can hear the fuel pump turn on as well.

What am I missing? I took apart the dash and cannot find the Alarm Spider, so I am stuck on that as well. I can't seem to find the ignition control module either.

Any help you guys can give me is well received. I am about ready to just sell the truck, although I don't want to... I was hoping this would be a simple fix. Is there a chance the cap and rotor I got don 't work?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What brand of cap and rotor did you use?
If it was not a LR brand then you need to switch to the LR brand cap and rotor.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Drifting

I had a feeling you would say that.

The parts from Atlantic British are ok right?

Quick Reply: Won't Start...