Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start + codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start + codes

In short, put lots of new stuff in my 96 DI Gems recently. New computers ran great for @1000 miles if that.

Won't start, occasionally hits. Heard one small backfire through the intake on one of the attempts.

Some new parts in the last 1000miles: New fuelfilter, plugs, cam and crank sensors + replaced a bad fuel pump etc.

Codes prior to erasing:

1187 Fuel/Air Metering (mass air meter?)
304 Misfire (coil pack?)
1316Ignition or Misfire (?)

These are generic codes with a cheapoff the shelf OBDII Scanner. Iam atleast200+miles from a testbook, and without a flatbed or trailer+$3.10/gal gas its almost cheaper to throw some new parts at it.
Lost...Any ideas...anyone? ...Yes the tire psi is just fine

Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Won't start + codes

Do you know anyone up there with a D1 that would swap MAF's just to test? Might stop by the dealer to find a club...or is there not one?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Mudding

I live in DooDaa, and this thing is just short of being a spacecraft here (ranchers probably think I am gonnaperform experiments ontheir cattle when they see it!). Kinda nice, as I am originally from Texas, the Rover folks are the only ones that regularly wave when I pass!

Wichita KS has just about everything for aircraft you can imagine but again, nothing for spaceships. Darn....

Think MAF is bad? I am thinking that is possible too, but it should atleaststart with it unplugged.. right??

Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes itwill start and run with a bad MAF.
This happens all the time, new ECU and now it wont run. The ECU and the security CU need to be matched up, they "talk" to one another.
There are only four reasons a GEMS will not start-low tire psi, bad crank sensor, no fuel, no spark. Everything else has a "fault mode" that will allow it to run, even with a bad idle control valve it will run if the rpms are kept above 550.
http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/GEMS/GEMSbyPoole.pdf
There might be some helpful stuff in here, at the end it listd ALL the fault codes for the OBDII.
It sucks when you live in the middle of OZ and the wicked witch of the west has your trk.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: crownaviation

In short, put lots of new stuff in my 96 DI Gems recently. New computers ran great for @1000 miles if that.

Won't start, occasionally hits. Heard one small backfire through the intake on one of the attempts.

Some new parts in the last 1000miles: New fuel filter, plugs, cam and crank sensors + replaced a bad fuel pump etc.

Codes prior to erasing:

1187 Fuel/Air Metering (mass air meter?)
304 Misfire (coil pack?)
1316 Ignition or Misfire (?)

These are generic codes with a cheap off the shelf OBDII Scanner. I am atleast 200+miles from a testbook, and without a flatbed or trailer+$3.10/gal gas its almost cheaper to throw some new parts at it.
Lost...Any ideas...anyone? ...Yes the tire psi is just fine
First of all, how many miles on the truck, have the wires been changed yet if yes who's wires and plugs are you using and what plug gap? What octane gas are you using?
The 1187 is a heater circuit for an 02 sensor and the 1316 is an emission misfire. None of the codes is close to indicating a MAF so don't wasit your time and money there.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all the replies!

I changed both the computers which came as a combo out of a wreck. Ran great for about a month.

New fuel pump/filter, plugs ,crank and cam sensors. Gap I can't remember but I used what wasrecommendedon the engine placard. (NGK'S)

Want to order some Magnacores anyway, but think the problem lies elswere. Actually, I was almost empty before filling up, and almost wonder if it is something simple like bad gas. I only use premium and every couple tanks a can of SeaFoam. This was not the case on this tank. I wasforced to buy low grade ethanol blend from arundown station in a questionable part of town. Got Gascans?[]

It does fire occasionally, just enough to extinguish the oil psi light, but only for a split second.

Got a beer for anyone that can figure this out!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Mudding

I wish I could find someone in town with one! I really would like to try. I might just haul it up to Tulsa. Those guys at the dealer actually sound pretty fair for a Rover op. They quoted me less to run a diagnostic than the local yocal who supposedly "could get testbook". Oh yeah, don't tell the dealer that!!! Thanks for the support.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the dealer is higher but you should only have
to pay once as far as someone that may know whats going
on may be much more $ and keep putting parts on it.

This one has me stumped so let us know whats up !!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Mudding

Well, here are some of my thoughts, please feel free to jump in at any time!

1. Somehow got a bad crank (new)sensor...but spark from all plugs andNO difference with my oldcam/crank sensors.

2. Originally replaced both computers andran great for a while....but may have some short or bad diode etc that is killing the ECU [:'(](previouslywould notstart/bad alarm CU= reason for changing computers first X).

3. Bad gas..should atleast have a noticable changeusing starting fluid.

4. Timing chain broke and one intake/exhaust valve open enough to partially fire...would still hear something. (going to get a compression tester) Looked good when I was in there in December. 125k.

5. Can hear the stepper motor operating...would default and throw code.

6. Bad Mass Air Flow...Unplugged and should default toallow to start,but nadda. (not sure)

7. ONLY codes were 0304 1186 and 1316 which should default. No codes from scanner after erasing (tried to read all key positions including start...(computer not taking?)

8. Try new computers (no longer have access to testbook)...if matching, should I have to re-learn any functions to get it to start? Computers are cheaper than towing! Sad huh?

9.Its a Rover and the shoelace is just untied!

10. Wife is more clever in sabotage than I thought and is enjoying ragging on me!