Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOO !!! PICKED ER UP TODAY 10K over O.A.Ted ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOO !!! PICKED ER UP TODAY 10K over O.A.Ted ??

Man we picked up our 01 Disco II this afternoon. The darn thing feels like you got your chocolate in my pb. It feels as refined as my Benz and as burly as my F-350 Powerstroke. I do have one question, I took it from sea level over a 10,000FT mountain pass back down to our house at 6400ft and the overflow puked O.A.T. on my driveway. I had a ton of Mikes 60K list done to the Disco before we brought it up. Is it possible that an over zealous tec. over O.A.T.ed us for the altitude I've brought the Disco up to or do we have a larger problem than an over filled expansion tank? We sought out a non sun roof model and I have the typical drooping headliner does anyone have a good plan of attack for the headliner? Thanks for any input folks! One more thing besides watching the sheer drop offs I watched the temp gauge all the way up and it never moved off the center.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is home that you're at 6400 feet? Living in Denver and wheeling in the mountains a lot I am regularly above 10,000 feet and my temperature gauge never moves. Fully loaded that may be different but with my usual load of tools and recovery gear I have no problems. I have no idea why it puked out coolant.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Now that you have it home top off the coolant if needed and then wait and see.
I really doubt its the alltitue but you never know.
Look for cracks around the overflow tank when you top it off.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2002 SD, sans sunroof. Tried different remedies for the headliner that were either patently unsuccessful or stained the material, or both. Ended up just taking it to a local upholstery shop and they put in a new headliner for about $210.00. From what I understand it isn't hard to do it yourself if you have an extra pair of willing hands.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info folks. I took the Disco from the Bay Area to Tahoe. It all shot out of the overflow tube on the top of the tank. I'll try toping the tank off again.
Thanks for the headliner info too my buddy got his original Bronco seats done from a shop in town. I'd just leave it for now but I know it's going to drive my wife insane.
Also the Disco came with a manual for a 4.0SE/4.6 HSE I have the wrong manual correct?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Team Owner

If it came with a Disco manual then you have the correct one.
The 4.6 is for the North American market and the 4.0 is for the rest of the world.
The bigger engine was supposed to help boost US sales.
For all intensive purposes all DI's are the same and all DII's are the same.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok I'm off Tri Tip duty. Thanks for the manual info. I found a link on here to the secret shop manual too which was very helpful.
Thats so true that they should just leave well enough alone for the US market. I had one of the first WRX'es and they should have left well enough alone with the body the world cars in 01 the Aussies and Brits were still getting looked great while mine looked like some bug eyed rally reject. At least in the last 5 years they mostly stopped watering down the vehicles we get in the USA.
Ok anyone use the Super Gaz 1.6" kit with good luck and 265/75/16's? Or should I just leave well enough alone with the O.M.E. by leaving alone I mean not skimping. There is a Jeep out side on Super Swampers,no more tires that thrashes everyones dental work. Also the front end has the factory moose booster when choosing spring rates. Thanks again everyone, this is still all new to me and everyone is really being helpful on this site!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
If it came with a Disco manual then you have the correct one.
The 4.6 is for the North American market and the 4.0 is for the rest of the world.
The bigger engine was supposed to help boost US sales.
For all intensive purposes all DI's are the same and all DII's are the same.
Are you smoking crack again Spike? The 4.0SE/4.6HSE has nothing to do with market. The manual he got is for a Range Rover P38, 4.0SE or 4.6HSE. The 4.6 didn't show up in the Discovery until 2003 and his truck is an 01.

If you really feel you need a lift than go with OME or Rovertym. They are proven to work. Before dumping money into lift and tires take the truck out and find out what it can do off road. Also find out when in 01 your truck was built. If early in the 01 model year you may still have CDL in your transfer case without the shifter linkage. If so, buy or make a shifter system to engage your CDL. It makes a huge difference off road.

Last edited by AK Rover; 05-25-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rovertym springs with OME shocks works great for me... you may need to trim up your rear quarterpanels to keep 267/75's from rubbing at full flex...

Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Are you smoking crack again Spike? The 4.0SE/4.6HSE has nothing to do with market. The manual he got is for a Range Rover P38, 4.0SE or 4.6HSE. The 4.6 didn't show up in the Discovery until 2003 and his truck is an 01.
Meth is one hell of a drug.

I though he said he had a '03, thats what I get for playing video games and being on the forum at the same time.

Quick Reply: WOO !!! PICKED ER UP TODAY 10K over O.A.Ted ??