Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOOHOO! Code free! Well, for a little bit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

slathered in dielectric grease
A practice not recommended on 02 sensors.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

I thought I read that somewhere...

Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

WOOHOO! Code free! Well, for a little bit......................... sssshhhhhh, don't tempt fate, ya know codes come along free .................. but sorting them usually costs $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Just to blow a myth away, dielectric grease is an insulator in part and not an electrical conductor so using it on electrical connector internals is a no, no.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=diale...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 02-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

We down south snorkled atv boys who spend all day under water fill every electrical connection with dielectric grease and never have any issues. Both my new front 02 sensors have it on the connections and no issues. It may not work for everything but its worked for me thus far.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

)*^*(^&%&(^$&*^$*&_)(#*_)($%@$)_#(^*&#$&!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: mad:: mad:

Something I've been meaning to do and have waited for based on doing the radiator and lower temp switch was to install the battery tray. The battery has just been bungied down safely but I've just not gotten around to doing it.

Sure enough, just by removing the battery the F(*&*(&%^*&$(&**)&%()^ing 3 amigos came on. Drove a bit, turned it off, drove again and they went off.

Got up this morning to take one of the kids to school, and they came on again. Turned it off, dropped him off, and they went away. This time, though, I got P1580 again. Seriously, WTF!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!! I can't unhook the G(*& D(**^(^ed battery without some sort of bull@($*&^ coming on?

/rant

I'm driving one of the other cars for a while and cool off as I wanted to drive it off a cliff this morning.

My suspicion is that another wheel speed sensor tanked, or I have a bad ground based on the battery. I'm going to go ahead and get one of the scanners that can pull Rover codes and go from there after I drink a bit tonight and cool off.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 827 Likes on 601 Posts

If you use dielectric grease on the O2 connectors use it on the outside of the white plastic, inner part of the connector. You should be able to use it in that cavity to prevent water ingress. DO NOT use it in the cavities for the metal electrical contacts.

Last edited by mln01; 02-17-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just went and started it again to move it to "time out" position and the damn lights came on again. Seriously? What a temperamental POS. I'm going to let it sit for a while as I determine its purpose in the fleet.

I always knew it would break my heart, and I've got legitimately reliable vehicles for back ups, but this is dumb.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I recommend the icarsoft LRII for the scanner, not bad for the price.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, that's the one I've ordered- it's the i930. It will work on my wife's as well, so money well spent.

Of interesting note, my Jeep (a relatively late model Wrangler- '12) runs a MUCH wider swath of temps than the Disco. As the Disco is in time out while I cool off, I drove the Jeep for the afternoon errands yesterday and hooked up the dongle and used the same dashboard in my phone as I do for the Disco and the temp swings in the Jeep are 25+ degrees! And the gauge on the dash didn't budge.

My point is that I've been nervous/whining about a 6-7 degree swing in the Disco, and yet the Jeep swings are DRAMATICALLY different. Now I know the Jeep is a way more "modern" engine and is designed to handle higher temps due to emissions restraints, but I was rather surprised at that. The swings were from around 200 to 225. I thought it was interesting.

And yes, I'm still pissed at the Disco. It now has to sit one the side of the house out of sight for a while.

Quick Reply: WOOHOO! Code free! Well, for a little bit...