Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth holding out for ACE suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHracer
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'll have to wait for an ACE to turn up. Darn, now I have to wait to get one
In the long run it sounds like it'll be worth the wait.

Was it a rare option or do people just hang on to them?
Not sure if it was rare but it was EXPENSIVE. Think it was something like a 3k option. Usually pushed your truck into the 40k range.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Three Wheeling

As said, ACE does more than just keep it flat during high speed turns. It also eliminates lean on a lateral incline and with no lateral acceleration it is like off roading with the sway bars removed. With normal physical sway bars when the right front wheel tries to go over a log or a rock it puts torsion on the bar which,in turn, tries to lift the left front wheel as well. With ACE the actuator does nothing unless the accelerometers sense a lateral acceleration so the right wheel just goes over the log while the left wheel remains where it is.

So another good comparison test between ACE and non-ACE is to drive one wheel over a parking curb and see how it acts.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcabpilot
As said, ACE does more than just keep it flat during high speed turns. It also eliminates lean on a lateral incline and with no lateral acceleration it is like off roading with the sway bars removed. With normal physical sway bars when the right front wheel tries to go over a log or a rock it puts torsion on the bar which,in turn, tries to lift the left front wheel as well. With ACE the actuator does nothing unless the accelerometers sense a lateral acceleration so the right wheel just goes over the log while the left wheel remains where it is.

So another good comparison test between ACE and non-ACE is to drive one wheel over a parking curb and see how it acts.
I agree, well said... most youtube videos you can see the artculation of some rovers in the front where the front left or right wheel gets totally stuffed in the fender and the other fully extended while at the same time keeping the frame quite flat, and others where the front almost never flex's to where you'll see the rover go on 3 wheels as one of the back wheels sit in a rutt.... ACE all the way...!!!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
4wd High

Truly sound like the best of both worlds. That's what I'll wait for.
Now if all the dealers would take pictures under the hood WITH the power steering reservoir, I would be able to tell if it has ACE (since most used car places have no idea what the heck it is )
Hopefully they don't know how expensive of an add-on it was. It might also be a buying tool, in the sense that I can say that it's just one more thing that can go wrong (eventhough it appears to be pretty rock solid).

Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Winching

Ok, $2900 option Man, options on these add up quick.
Is it worth holding out for ACE suspension?-windowstick.jpg

Old 07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

OK, since nobody has yet asked this question: I wonder how difficult it would be to replace a standard sway link setup with ACE, and at what cost, if you were able to come up with used parts. Other than parts swapping, and Testbook reprogramming of the ECU to tell it your vehicle has the ACE option, how hard would it be?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Winching

Wow, not sure. It is pretty built in there. You have the pump, the lines, the rams, the upper and lower sensors, etc.... I would think cheaper to find a trashed disco with working ACE and swap everything else from a good donor onto the ACE truck if you want it that bad.