Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you want a detailed write up on deleting the SAI?
Yes, that sounds awesome, I've been wanting to know how.
97.96%
No, no one should ever attempt this because its a waste of time.
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Would anyeone be interested in a write up to delete the Secondary Air Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Would anyeone be interested in a write up to delete the Secondary Air Injection?

Haven't logged in for awhile but always am searching through here for quick fixes or to see if you guys have encountered some of the weird things I come across at work I am a tech at Rover Cannibal (now Car Cannibal) in Oklahoma City. Recently we had a customer that wanted his low mile "custom" engine from his rusty 1999 D2 installed into a 2004 D2. The main issue was that the 2004 had the SAI system where as the 1999 did not and trying to save him the cost of swapping the cylinder heads we decided to tackle completely removing the SAI while also keeping all of the check engine lights off and every system functioning properly. It is possible without having a special ECU or aftermarket company reprogramming it. Contrary to what I have read and found online with everyone saying it was impossible.

Located in Oklahoma we do not have emissions tests and this would only be applicable for states that do not require or for off road only vehicles.

It will be a pretty lengthy write up to make it clear enough for everyone to understand. Now that I know exactly what to do it should be easily doable for the average mechanic.

So my final thought is are there enough people wanting this write up or are people not really doing this sort of thing?

The following users liked this post:
annette (02-03-2018)
Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I say do it.

I've seen a similar post at discoweb where a tech did it to his own D2 I believe, but it wasn't all that detailed.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say do it as well. Been thinking about it myself. I have installed a 160 thermostat to try to keep my sleeves from moving. It worked but mad a the SES light come on for the engine being "too cold". I didn't like that and figured I could trick the ECU. So I put a resistor on my ECT sensor to make the ECU think the engine was warmer than it actually was. Since I did that the SAI never comes on without throwing any codes. Figured I could just take it off. But according to you, it sounds like there is more to it. So please write it up! Of course I am sure you will have people opposed and will tell you how stupid it is to do. But to heck with them!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love it. I have replaced that damn motor and vacuum valves 3 times. It is the only thing on my 04 that is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So please do it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Yes please

Old 06-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also to add, it is not an "easy" fix, but the most proper and fairly easy to do once i include the write up. This would be a list of old/new parts needed to make the swap;

-Non Secondary Air ECU
-Canister Vent Valve & harness plug (located under hood attached to cruise control on non secondary air vehicles)
-Fuel pump housing (not necessarily the pump) with pressure sensor and harness plug

Will update more tomorrow or later today when I can do good diagram screen shots and take a few photos. The main "hard part" is adding two pins to one ECU plug and one pin to the fuse box. Which both are easy to get to.

The only thing I can see as an obstruction to the backyard mechanic is that you will have to sync the Becm to the "new" ECM. Using a Testbook or RoverCom or one of the other scanners.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be great info to have. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking SAI off and throwing it in the garbage was the best thing I've ever done to my Rover. Doing any kind of work on the engine is now 1000 times easier without having all that useless garbage in the way.

I just removed all the plumbing, vacuum hoses, et all, and welded the adapter thing closed that comes out of the head (there's four of them).

I live with the code and resultant SES light, but that's it. Truck runs fine, and no emissions here, so I don't bother with it.

I'm curious what the canister vent valve & fuel pump housing has to do with anything. Also, I'm anxious to learn what the ECU is actually looking for -- whether it's a load on the circuit to tell it the pump is on & running, or a certain O2 output (lean for the extra air?). If I knew these variables, I could rig up some resistors & relays to give the ECU what it needs, when it needs it to avoid the SES light.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by QuakerJ
I'm curious what the canister vent valve & fuel pump housing has to do with anything.
The SAI trucks use a dmtl pump, where the non-SAI trucks have a pressure sensor on the fuel pump housing.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
The SAI trucks use a dmtl pump, where the non-SAI trucks have a pressure sensor on the fuel pump housing.
Not familiar with the "dmtl" acronym. Could you elaborate?

Quick Reply: Would anyeone be interested in a write up to delete the Secondary Air Injection?