Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you want a detailed write up on deleting the SAI?
Yes, that sounds awesome, I've been wanting to know how.
97.96%
No, no one should ever attempt this because its a waste of time.
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Would anyeone be interested in a write up to delete the Secondary Air Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Pump - Evaporative Loss Leak Detection - Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage System (DMTL)

Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by QuakerJ
Not familiar with the "dmtl" acronym. Could you elaborate?
The standard evap system from about 1997 to 2004 (wthout SAI) uses engine vacuum and a pressure sesnor in the tank (fuel pump housing on AEVAP D1 and D2) to detect fuel/vapor leaks.

The SAI vehicles use a DMTL (diagnostic module tank leakage) pump to pressurize the tank. I believe the DMTL pump itself has the pressure sensor to detect leaks.

This is probably why my 2003 gave me all kinds of fits about the gas cap sealing and the 1999 didn't seam to care as much.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

My question is why would you want to remove a device that draws no horse power yet helps clean your emissions?
Sure you can remove the parts, but what about the programming of the ECU, you can not change that. Also, if you live in most of the emission regulated states, legally you must reinstall that system before it can be regestered in your state.
Bottom line it does not effect your performance and requires little or no maintance.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mike, your 99 doesn't have SAI. I've had both and it's a pain in the butt, in my opinion. I've had a 99 and an 03 and the 03 would set codes if you farted too loudly in the drivers' seat. Swapping to an non-sai ECM certainly makes the system less sensitive. And there is a lot more room in the engine compartment on non-sai engines.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

True, I was lucky to not have SAI, but how many time does a person have to remove it just to do another repair. To me this is not a valid reason for removing it.
By the way, you might want to cut back on your mexican food to minimize that gas.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
By the way, you might want to cut back on your mexican food to minimize that gas.
But it tastes soooo good! I'll never learn.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested for the simple matter of creating more space under my hood.. I need to relocate my washer bottle (because of the Tactical Rover bumper), but can't find a good spot... I know non-SAI folks migrate the bottle where the SAI Vacuum cleaner is located.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QuakerJ
Not familiar with the "dmtl" acronym. Could you elaborate?
Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage System.

The earlier rovers use a vacuum type test system whereas the later model (SAI) cars use a pressure type system. Meaning there is a small pump mounted on the evap. canister underneath the vehicle.

I can see the its pretty much a yes so I will do a write up and get my wiring diagrams written up for you guys later today or tomorrow.

Whoops didnt realize there was a page two lol someone beat me to it

Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
My question is why would you want to remove a device that draws no horse power yet helps clean your emissions?
Sure you can remove the parts, but what about the programming of the ECU, you can not change that. Also, if you live in most of the emission regulated states, legally you must reinstall that system before it can be regestered in your state.
Bottom line it does not effect your performance and requires little or no maintance.
I am mainly doing it so that people that want to swap a NONSAI engine into their vehicle without having to go through the trouble of switching heads. Its not necessarily cost effective but some people might want to clean up the engine a little bit. I compare it to people removing there a/c compressors to go fast. They dont quite realize that it doesn't rob power when its not on at the most you save a couple pounds in weight which doesnt matter on rovers only race cars.

Quick Reply: Would anyeone be interested in a write up to delete the Secondary Air Injection?