Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XYZ adjustment? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I am a little late to this thread, but I'm having a similar problem. I've been battling the intermittent M & S flashing lights, as well as trans getting stuck in "limp mode" (3rd gear). After some sleuthing, I decided to pull the XYZ to clean and reinstall. I took it apart (and it looks exactly like Min01, not like the others pictured). Cleaned some corrosion and re-applied a small amount of lithium grease and reassembled and reinstalled. M & S lights seem to be fixed, although I haven't driven it extensively yet. HOWEVER, the shifter seems to be off by like 1 tooth. When the transmission clicks into D, NOTHING displays on the instrument panel. When I push it ever so slightly down towards 3rd gear, the D pops up and it drives normally. 3, 2 and 1 seem to drive and shift fine, it is just Drive that will not properly engage (or shift - from a stop it acts like it will not want to shift out of 1st gear). Main question is: do I disassemble the the XYZ and try and adjust slightly (even though I marked it when I disassembled it and reassembled perfectly from what I can tell) or do I simply adjust the shift lever rod on the outside of the XYZ???? Any help would be much appreciated.

BTW, I'm running an 04 Disco 2.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

There is some adjustment possible on the mounting position of the switch.

try getting under, loosen mount screws and have someone inside with foot brake pressed switch through gears while you find the seeet spot.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (04-01-2019)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewvastola
... Main question is: do I disassemble the the XYZ and try and adjust slightly (even though I marked it when I disassembled it and reassembled perfectly from what I can tell) or do I simply adjust the shift lever rod on the outside of the XYZ???? Any help would be much appreciated. ...
Wow. Re-reading this thread sure brought back some memories.

It's not quite clear what the symptoms are with your truck, but as Abran says I'd start with trying to adjust the XYZ switch in position on the truck.

Crawl under from the passenger side and loosen the two bolts with the 10mm heads that hold the XYZ in position. Before starting be sure to chock the wheels and set the parking brake. Have a helper sitting in the driver's seat move the shifter to the D position.

Once you've loosened the two bolts rotate the switch gently and slowly both directions while the helper watches to see if the the D illuminates in the instrument panel and the red LED next to the D position in the shifter surround lights up. If those things happen tighten the two bolts to set the XYZ switch in that position. If the D in the instrument panel and the D-LED don't illuminate let us know and we'll go on to the next idea. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (04-01-2019)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Mln01 and abran. I rolled under there this morning and did just as you recommended. Loosening the 2 10 mm bolts and just rotating the whole XYZ unit ever so slightly (1/16" probably) did the trick. I did not realize those holes were adjustable at first. Now I just have to put some miles on the truck to see if the M & S light issue and 0705 code are gone for good.