Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XYZ Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default No crank, good battery, good starter

I have not been able to start the DII for two days now.

Symptoms:
-no crank
- will start when jumping the starter from battery.
-Battery is good
-there is power at the relay and at fuse 23 in passenger compartment when you turn the ignition.
-doors are locking and unlocking, alarm light flashing when locked
-I have pressed the immobilization button in the engine compartment
-the dash read out does read the correct gear when selected.

Is it possible it’s the xyz switch if the right gear is showing on the dash readout?

Last edited by CollieRover; 01-03-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Doubt it's the XYZ if the dash reads correctly. I've not had one fail though so just an opinion really.

Have you verified that the solenoid under the hood clicks as someone turns the key? If it does, then it's either the fusible link or the connection between the solenoid in the panel and the one on the starter down below.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Red5
Doubt it's the XYZ if the dash reads correctly. I've not had one fail though so just an opinion really.

Have you verified that the solenoid under the hood clicks as someone turns the key? If it does, then it's either the fusible link or the connection between the solenoid in the panel and the one on the starter down below.
I am not getting power at the starter. I will take off the fuse box and see what that connection looks like.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

When you say you're not getting power at the starter...which wire? Big one (should be 12.4 volts constantly) or little one (12 volts, when key is turned to start position).

Brian.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:56 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
When you say you're not getting power at the starter...which wire? Big one (should be 12.4 volts constantly) or little one (12 volts, when key is turned to start position).

Brian.
The little one. Big one tests fine.Starter works if u wire the little connection to battery

Old 12-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Camel Trophy

When ignition is turned to the third position (crank engine) it feeds fuse 23 in the drivers compartment fuse box (located in drivers footwell), if fuse 23 is good it provides power to the starter relay in engine compartment fuse box (located by coolant reservoir) when the BCU senses voltage at the relay and all of the conditions are met to allow starting (in park, etc)...it supplies a ground to the relay, allowing voltage to be passed to the fusible link 23 in the engine compartment fuse box, if fusible link 23 is good it passes voltage to the small terminal of the starter.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 12-27-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
When ignition is turned to the third position (crank engine) it feeds fuse 23 in the drivers compartment fuse box (located in drivers footwell), if fuse 23 is good it provides power to the starter relay in engine compartment fuse box (located by coolant reservoir) when the BCU senses voltage at the relay and all of the conditions are met to allow starting (in park, etc)...it supplies a ground to the relay, allowing voltage to be passed to the fusible link 23 in the engine compartment fuse box, if fusible link 23 is good it passes voltage to the small terminal of the starter.

Brian.
All the fuses and fusible links are good. I am really racking my brain.Also, when you turn the ignition I am getting power at fuse 23 in the passenger compartment and at the relay in the engine compartment.So what would not allow the ground to engage?

Last edited by CollieRover; 12-27-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy

The wire diagram says the BO wire comes from the BCU and grounds relay terminal when start conditions are complete (in park, etc). So, according to their wiring color code, B = Black and O = Orange. So, I'm assuming BO = Black and Orange wire.

Did you try swapping out a different relay? If that doesn't work, try grounding the relay at the terminal that has the BO wire...you may have to remove fuse box compartment from fender to get at wire from underneath. If you ground it and it turns over...then you know which direction to go...either BCU or whatever lock-out that could be denying the BCU permission to activate ground. Or if you jump power over from the 23 fused wire at engine fuse box to wire going to the starter...that would tell you that all wiring is good from there.

Brian.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Winching

The BCU supplies the ground for the relay if the trans is in park or neutral (may be other conditions, like the security immobilizer not triggered). Turn the key to the start position and see if the starter relay in the engine compartment clicks. If it does, then you have a good ground and your problem is between the starter relay and the relay on the starter itself. If it does not, then either the BCU will not complete the ground (XYZ switch, security, etc.) or there is a problem with the connection between the starter relay and the BCU,

Curious, have you tried starting in both P and N?

Old 12-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Winching

Here's the starting diagram in case you don't have....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Starting Circuit.pdf (125.5 KB, 90 views)

Quick Reply: XYZ Switch Question