Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XYZ Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:08 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
The BCU supplies the ground for the relay if the trans is in park or neutral (may be other conditions, like the security immobilizer not triggered). Turn the key to the start position and see if the starter relay in the engine compartment clicks. If it does, then you have a good ground and your problem is between the starter relay and the relay on the starter itself. If it does not, then either the BCU will not complete the ground (XYZ switch, security, etc.) or there is a problem with the connection between the starter relay and the BCU,

Curious, have you tried starting in both P and N?
I have, and I appreciate the diagram, I will study it.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I did have an XYZ switch from an 04 kinda give me some grief like that. All I did to fix it was loosen the two bolts holding it on, and slightly move it one way, tighten it down, try to start to D2, and then if that didn't work move it the other way and give it a go. It showed PRND321 perfectly, but D2 wouldn't start. I had just swapped it over my 04 (which was giving me M & S flashing) onto my parts truck which started just fine before. I've noticed the newer black XYZ switches are much more sensitive when it comes to being adjusted 100% perfect. After I tinkered with forward/backward movements (two people makes it SO much easier) I finally got it and she fired right up. It's still either off or it's bad because now when I move my parts D2 around if I slap it into R it bogs and tries to quit. It never did it before I moved the 04 XYZ to the 03. After the swap my 04 now has never had the flashing M & S and the problem seems to be following the XYZ switch itself. I'd tear it apart and clean it, but the previous owner of the 04 had just replaced it. I think it's faulty honestly.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It is very unlikely the XYZ switch is inhibiting the starter as they are unconnected. I think your problem is a power issue to the large cables and maybe the LV 12V exciter wire to the starter solenoid. Check for 12 volts at the starter positive large cable and also the LV 12 volts small cable whilst someone engages the start ignition position. If there is no power at the large positive starter cable it's either a faulty battery connection, ground connection or the large power fuse blown.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:03 PM
TReK

I put in my new crank position sensor. Did not change the starting system. Took it to a shop nearby, and they are Bosch ceritified if that makes any difference.
The bummer is that my wife ordered me a diagnostic tool for XMas, but it got sent to the wrong place.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:16 PM
TReK

I just got a call from the shop they can’t get it not to start. FML.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Man, that's discouraging. Gotta be a bad connection then if it "fixed" itself between your driveway and the shop, no?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Can't remember, but isn't the BCU the one controller that's located in the center console...if so...pull the window switch cover off and see if any variants have chewed some wires inside. Had some mice chew the XYZ switch wiring on our 04...little basta*ds. My conditions were not the same as yours, but there are many wires in there for a mouse to chew...could have got ahold of that BO wire.

Brian.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Can't remember, but isn't the BCU the one controller that's located in the center console...if so...pull the window switch cover off and see if any variants have chewed some wires inside. Had some mice chew the XYZ switch wiring on our 04...little basta*ds. My conditions were not the same as yours, but there are many wires in there for a mouse to chew...could have got ahold of that BO wire.

Brian.
BCU is behind the glovebox. SRS module is under the center console.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (12-28-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:54 AM
TReK

I picked her up, and she is starting right up. The affect is immediate. I am strongly leaning toward the CPS being the culprit. My best guess is the ECM needed to cycle through with the new Sensor. If this were a bad connection/wire somewhere, I just don’t think it would fix itself to this dramatic a level. Anyway, I will update if anything changes of someone has this issue in the future.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

A bad CPS would not keep the vehicle from cranking over. It could keep it from starting, but not cranking...two separate systems. You were having an issue with cranking, so it has to be an electrical issue with ignition/starting system.

Brian.

Quick Reply: XYZ Switch Question