Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y Pipe Cats Replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Y Pipe Cats Replace

Anybody did their cats recently. My magnaflow arrived this morning and would like to get some suggestions, which is the best easy way to replace them. Thanks

Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Universals or the whole y?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:04 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Universals or the whole y?
Its the entire Y pipe with cats. Thanks Alex

Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Unbolt the cross member, unbolt the y from the muffler, put a pair of vice grips to hold the manifold to the y on each side, soak with penetrating oil, remove bolts/shear studs, remove vice grips after they're all off.

If you sheared the studs, see if you can get them out. If you can't drill them out and run a tap through the hole. Buy bolts to fit the freshly tapped hole or the stud hole.

Loosely bolt the new y to the exhaust, use a jack on each side to raise up the y into position, use antiseize on the nuts/bolts that go back on, tighten everything up.

Also you should probably remove the O2s before unbolting the y and then reinstall them as your last step. Antiseize those too.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM
TReK

Thanks Alex,
Just wondering if I can get it out with the cross member still installed. I just ordered the Exhaust Manifold Stud Kit and still contemplating if those rusted bolts will come loose. Just figuring out the tools needed incase some get really stuck. Been soaking them with PB blaster for a while now. I will report back. My 1st time to deal with exhaust.
BTW are those metric or SAE?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Definitely need to pull that cross member. Both in fact.

Cross member bolts are M8 metric. Mine came out fairly easily, and I replaced them with a larger head bolt
manifolds to y-pipe are metric
Studs from y-pipe to muffler pipe are 3/8"-16 I believe. Mine were super rusted and seized up so I had to drill the studs out and replace with nut and bolt. Just make sure to get a distorted thread nut so it will lock on.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
TReK

I just got under. Have not done anything yet just assessing my situation. lol. Yes, Confirmed that the cross front bar should be removed. Wont be able to pull pipe to front to get it out. No room.

Please keep track with me for a while guys. I might as well do a video for other forum members if they need to do it. That is why I'm getting some stats and checking where to place cameras. its a bit tight but doable.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thanks Alex,
Just wondering if I can get it out with the cross member still installed. I just ordered the Exhaust Manifold Stud Kit and still contemplating if those rusted bolts will come loose. Just figuring out the tools needed incase some get really stuck. Been soaking them with PB blaster for a while now. I will report back. My 1st time to deal with exhaust.
BTW are those metric or SAE?

The thread size for the exhaust manifold studs ( ERR551 ) is M8 x 1.25
Before you try to remove the nuts say a prayer, do an animal sacrifice... whatever.... but keep a tap close by. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
The thread size for the exhaust manifold studs ( ERR551 ) is M8 x 1.25
Before you try to remove the nuts say a prayer, do an animal sacrifice... whatever.... but keep a tap close by. Good Luck!!!
Amen to sacrificing all kinds of things to the Rover Gods!

Did mine about two months ago and I had to cut/drill several bolts on the cross members. Not hard but a pain. Do replace with better bolts.

The worst part for me was the studs. Six in total (I think) and I had ordered a set of new ones to use which is 100% a good idea. Broke 4 of the 6 but I only used PB for a day or so ahead which in hindsight wasn't good. A week of soaking twice a day would have been better.

I was able to use the excellent method of putting two nuts on the stud and tightening them up against each other and then loosening the studs enough to get them out. I also heated them up with a torch and then sprayed cold water in a spray bottle on them trying to get them to budge. No luck with that.

Just be prepared for taking some time with the studs. If they had come right out I could have replaced my entire exhaust system in about two hours tops. Took me all day and a trip to the hardware store for bolts to use on the studs.

In a nutshell just be prepared and have patience. Bourbon was my copilot and I seriously appreciated him being along for the ride. I'd love to say that my daughter learned a few new choice words but at 16 I pretty sure she heard them by now.

Just keep sipping on the bourbon and reminding yourself of how much fun your Rover is to drive.

Oh, and once you get it all hooked up you are gonna love the new sound!

Old 08-22-2017, 02:33 PM
TReK

You guys are funny in the midst of fixing your rovers. Thats good to know. I have seen some post about this fix and one of them were Chris'. So far, I was able to loosen all the bolts after few days of marinating in PB blaster, now I guess it got tender. Only run I did was to get an impact wrench extension to reach the passenger side bolts. They are all hanging and loose.
Thats all I can do at the moment while waiting for the Stud Kit
Thank you so much peeps!