Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yayyyy off road adventures!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by discoxd
2 jeeps broke real early in the day
Why do people say jeeps are reliable. I'm like you, I wheel mostly with jeeps. And they are always breaking down. Not just one. 2-3 of them!! Every time!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have any tire rubbing when you turn with the 265/75s? My 245/75s are rubbing at full lock on the trailing arms. Which lift do you have?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Its a Jeep thing...

OK I have to weigh in here - please, did someone say that Jeeps break down a lot? Compared to ROVERS? I swapped my Jeep for the Rover because the Rover had A/C and was more safe/comfortable on the highway. My YJ never let me down in the woods or on the road, never got stuck in rice or bean fields, climbed through cutover like a knife through butter. The Rover just does these things with A/C and a boat-load more maintenance. My Jeep was one of the only vehicles south of Hwy 90 in MS during Katrina that still functioned after the storm and was used by the first emergency personnel to reach the Biloxi airport. This after taking a large portion of the airport roof through the driver door, which moved the steering column to the center of the vehicle. I restored it after the storm and it is now enjoying a well-earned retirement.

Now, I love Rovers - first car I had was a Rover TC2000. But a little respect for the good old American Jeep please.....

Attached Thumbnails yayyyy off road adventures!!!!-jeep-thing.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only person I wheel with has a jeep, and just like the rover is has its goofy problems. I respect all 4X4s as long as they arent always sitting at the mall. But i'll take the rover over the jeep anyday... plus, it fun to poke fun back and fourth with jeep and rover owners, as long as its in good spirit.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
TReK

Not that this is directly related but when was the last time a Jeep came from the factory with bead lock wheels? Did you guys know that LRs come from the factory with internal bead lock wheels? Found that out when I had my new tires put on and Disco Mike confirmed it when I talked to him about it.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gilder
OK I have to weigh in here - please, did someone say that Jeeps break down a lot? Compared to ROVERS? I swapped my Jeep for the Rover because the Rover had A/C and was more safe/comfortable on the highway. My YJ never let me down in the woods or on the road, never got stuck in rice or bean fields, climbed through cutover like a knife through butter. The Rover just does these things with A/C and a boat-load more maintenance. My Jeep was one of the only vehicles south of Hwy 90 in MS during Katrina that still functioned after the storm and was used by the first emergency personnel to reach the Biloxi airport. This after taking a large portion of the airport roof through the driver door, which moved the steering column to the center of the vehicle. I restored it after the storm and it is now enjoying a well-earned retirement.

Now, I love Rovers - first car I had was a Rover TC2000. But a little respect for the good old American Jeep please.....
I respect jeeps. I wheel mostly with jeeps. I can post tons of pictures with me and jeeps. My best friend has a jeep. My brother has a jeep.

Every time I go off-roading with a group of jeeps a few of them break down. Maybe it is owner error. Maybe the majority of jeep owners don't know how to "maintain" their jeeps. I hear people all the time talk how Land Rovers break down and need extraordinary amounts of maintenance and blah blah. I have had zero problems besides normal maintenance on my Rover. I have never broken down on the trail while my jeep partners always do (knocks on wood). Not all of them break down, but it is always the jeep. Never the rover, never the toyota, not even the ford pick up.

If Jeep made a 4door JK with a V8 or a TDI I would be all over it. But they put in a minivan engine instead.

For the record. I even go to Land Rover only events where there are 20-30 land rovers, all years and models. Most of the guys beat the crap out of their rovers and I have yet to see any of them breakdown on the Trail, except where one of them who did not have a snorkel went too deep in water and flooded his engine.

On the other hand, I have been to Jeep events with 30+ jeeps. Off roading in conditions that are a Fraction as intense of the Land Rover events. At least five of them broke down and couldn't continue the trails. I was with my friend who drives a toyota 4 runner. We made jokes about how we were glad we didn't own jeeps. But towards the end we split up into smaller groups of about 7-10 rigs each. We're deep into a trail and what do you know, two jeeps break down.

So, from my Experience with many land rovers and many jeeps on the trails. I am 100% positive that Jeeps break down more than land rovers where it counts. On the trails.

I'm glad you take care of your jeep and it doesn't give you problems. But trust me, you are one of the few. I'm glad your jeep got you out of thick and thin. They are great 4x4s. One isn't better than the other. But in the end, I'd rather have a land rover than a jeep any day. Throw a toyota in there and I might have to re-consider.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok XD, dude you really need to rearrage your pics so that they are verticle, I hate having to scroll sideways! lol

Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ok XD, dude you really need to rearrage your pics so that they are verticle, I hate having to scroll sideways! lol
OPERATOR ERROR. They appear vertical to me.

Throw a toyota in there and I might have to re-consider.
Only Toy worth considering when talking about off road is the Land Cruiser. I actually thought about a Cruiser when I was shopping for a second vehicle but got the Rover instead and glad I did.

Last edited by AK Rover; 05-18-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think one major source of jeep break downs is people running 33" or larger tires with stock axles, at least around here everybody does. There are LOTS of discos where I live, however I have never seen one sitting on tires larger than 31s.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
I got your back Spike555, here's how to fix that...

1. Rotate laptop or monitor 90 degrees.
2. View pictures.

Repeat till the problem is solved.

If you rotate more than 3 times, and it doesn't fix the problem, stop smoking PCP and try again in 4 hours.

Quick Reply: yayyyy off road adventures!!!!