Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics

Over the last month, i have had to top off coolant, small amounts each week. Two days ago, i filled it while running, and with heat on, figuring i could get all air out and completely fill. Now i have a small green spot on the ground. Looked underneath and see a definite coolant leak. Not sure if its water pump or some other seal. Hopefully it was just overfilled...??? what part could be leaking?
Checked levels this morning, and seems fine.

Pics are from under front engine and throttle body gasket.

Waterpump and throttle body gasket was replaced 2yrs ago.
Head gaskets replaced 3yrs ago.

Attached Thumbnails yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics-img_20120819_150733_041.jpg   yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics-img_20120819_150803_218.jpg   yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics-img_20120819_151127_903.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is some gross coolant dude. I think you need to considered changing that, also the throttle body heater looks like its what is leaking. If its not it looks pretty gunked up?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to flush out all the coolant ASAP.
That liquid looks like gear oil - not coolant.

If that is coolant - you need to get the whole system flushed.
I bet different types of coolant went in - green and orange - silicate and OAT and it went to sludge.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

BINGO!!! Ding ding ding

Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That spot would be the $3 water pump gasket. While going that far consider an aftermarket water pump that will improve cooling. Certainly chemically flush that stuff out, go back green. Check fan clutch before all this, if it is wimpy change it out on the same trip.

Attached Thumbnails yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics-land_range_rover_classic_discovery_defender_oem_water_pump_g.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

People are always bashing OAT orange coolant.
I put prestone OAT orange stuff into the 2001 D2.
And, I run it in the 1997 D1 too.
No issues like that yet.
The shop did put green into the D1 recently.
I had better drain it all as there is probably 10% green in with 90% orange on our 1997 D1. The shop did put in the correct stuff - but the shop never looked at the color of the antifreeze in the first place - which I had in as orange..

Well, thanks.
This thread gave me a plan of action for the trusty D1.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to all for your responses...
I have only used green coolant for las two years. I do however have a few oil leaks, maybe the leaks are blending together. I'll do the 1.pressure test, 2.flush, 3.replace tb and wp gasket, and consider replacing the water pump. Dont like to do water pump because of fan/belts, but may have to this time(save $)

Curious... if it was gear oil, what symptoms should i look out for?

Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

There is no gear oil in the D2 engine, unless you introduced it. The water based cooling system serves just the engine and heater core, the transmission and engine oil cooler (if fitted) are physically separate from the main radiator. On a D1 you get 3-in-one for a combo radiator unit. The water pump has a sealed bearing. If you detect any wobble in the fan pulley while running then inside the pump the tolerances are such that metal will be eaten away by scrubbing.

Generally, oil and water don't mix on the outside of the engine on vertical or sloped surfaces, they run off at different rates, evaporate from engine heat and the warm breeze from the fan, etc. They may be present at the same time, like beaded up, etc.

Here's a pix of WP insides, the one on the left is old, scale build up from wrong water in coolant, and wobbled. Also coated with some kind of stop leak.

Attached Thumbnails yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics-p1030593.jpg   yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics-p1030596.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

There is no gear oil in the engine, unless you introduced it. The water based cooling system serves just the engine and heater core, the transmission and engine oil cooler (if fitted) are physically separate from the main radiator. On a D1 you get 3-in-one for a combo cooling unit. The water pump has a sealed bearing. If you detect any wobble in the fan pulley while running then inside the pump the tolerances are such that metal will be eaten away by scrubbing.

Generally, oil and water don't mix on the outside of the engine on vertical or sloped surfaces, they run off at different rates, evaporate from engine heat and the warm breeze from the fan, etc. They may be present at the same time, like beaded up, etc.

Here's a pix of WP insides, the one on the left is old, scale build up from wrong water in coolant, and wobbled. Also coated with some kind of stop leak.

Now if you have oil mixed with water in the coolant expansion tank, then you have other issues. Head Gaskets. Drain oil and it should be oil, not a milkshake.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First, never open the coolant system up with the engine running or hot.
Second, as mentioned you need to pressure test the coolant system, find all you leaks, grain and flush the system, fix the leaks and then do another pressure test, wouldn't surprise me if you have a blown head gasket leaking oil into your crank case.
Might want to power scrub that engine so you can better see what is going on.

Quick Reply: yet another Coolant Leak... w/pics