Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your favorite additive/cleaner/flush: fuel and oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your favorite additive/cleaner/flush: fuel and oil?

Thought it'd be nice to have a thread with everyone's input on their favorite additives to keep the engine running like a hare.

Favorite fuel additive/cleaner? How often/when?

Favorite oil additive/engine flush? How often/when?

Let's hear it.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well most of our primium fuels have additives added at the refinery but every 5k miles i run a can of seafoam through my fuel tank.

on the oil side i use synthetics in all my vehicles and have had good luck for a long time running hyperlube in all vehicles i have owned. with the stickyness of it i notice that on my bike, car, rover that sit for periods of time that they sound much better at startup then without. it sticks and clings to the bearing surfaces and reduces dry starts. even after a month or two sitting i can fire up my bike, car etc and they sound as if they were run 10min ago.

run water wetter in my coolant as well.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
TReK

I used to run 6 oz of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant every tank. I've haven't for the past 3 months or so and have noticed my mpg's have dropped. I'm sure there are other factors besides just the additive, but seems rather coincidental....going to pick up that habit again soon.

I'll also dump in some Seafoam every once and a while as well.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bottle of techron concentrate in the tank at each oil chance. Started this after a seafoam cleaning.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Gas Treatment

Ditto on the Techron! I love the stuff. I used it on my past vehicles. It was suggested on my 01' M Coupe and it really helped out! Since then I make it a routine to add it at every oil change. In addition I continue to perform Disco Mike's Seafoam treatment to the intake. I love to watch the white smoke dust the neighborhood. Just kidding- I drive to the outskirts. It's amazing to watch people's reaction.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seafoam in the intake.
Shell V-Power Fuel additive/cleaner after ever oil change. (I always run shell gas, and I love their additive)
I see almost 1 MPG better with shell gas.... adds up over time.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't use oil additives, I change the oil.
I don't use fuel additives unless I'm filling up in some podunk town with no-name gas, then I throw in a bottle of Techron.

Eric

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double bottle of techron in every car in the tank before I change the oil.

No oil additives, change it on time and should not need any.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Shell V-Power 90% of the time (3x's the cleaners as required by law) so no injector cleaner needed.
And I use Rotella motor oil and Wix oil filters.
If you use a good oil and filter there is no need to waste your money on marketing schemes.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
TReK
Default Stay on target.......stay on target

Maybe I misunderstood the OP's intent of this thread, but he was asking what your "FAVORITE" addititve was, not why you think they are dumb and a waste of money. I think there is a certain level of understanding on this forum that a putting a bottle of Techron in your gas tank does not substitute for an oil change, or using 25 octane gas.

While I agree with the last few posts that changing the oil and using good gas is the most important thing, and that the shelf "Fuel System Cleaners" or "Fuel Injector Cleaners" are silver bullets to solve gas mileage, "dirty" fuel system problems, etc,...But spending $7 extra dollars to toss in a bottle of Techron (or the like) probably isn't going to do any harm, and who knows, maybe SOME of the claims on the bottle are true? And if someone can get there fuel system or injectors just a little bit cleaner, then why not try it?

Sorry for the mini rant, I meant no offense.....Merry Christmas everyone!

Quick Reply: Your favorite additive/cleaner/flush: fuel and oil?