Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Thoughts On My Situation..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Thoughts On My Situation..

My old man has a 95 Disco with 95,000 miles.. i needs a front right fender/quarterpanel, a new front windshield, a new rear bumper and a couple other things.. He says its rusting but I dont see any visible rust. I will be turning 16 soon and I want to know what you think about keeping the one we have and fixing her up.. or do as my dad says and work and buy a nice one.. The ones in my price range have more miles but they are newer.. I do however think newer isnt always better because of the milage factor.. what do you think i should do.. keep the old.. or struggle and bring in a decent one that doesnt need body work..

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Your Thoughts On My Situation..

Did he buy the current truck new or used? How sound is it mechanically? And I assume that you're still in high school, does your high school have a auto body/ mechanic class? Usually You can get body work and a decent paint job done really cheap. At my high school we had a pretty good shop class and my instructor was willing to help me re-paint my first bronco, and it actually turned out pretty damn good.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
4wd Low

He bought it used like 8 years ago.. we do have a class called auto maitenece.. but as far as body and what not its hard to get your car in there and its hard to get it in there for a decent amount of time..

Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What part of the country are you in? There are several salvage yards out there, and even a few on e-bay and craigslist usually has someone parting one out. The front glass is the most expensive thing.

I say why not try your hand at fixing this one? You will get familiar with the truck, and when you have saved enough, you can sell this one and get a newer one if you want. It is a free truck and you can throw a couple of thousand into it even and still come out ahead.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
4wd Low

Im in Oshkosh, WI.. weve had the glass done before and it cracked down the middle once again on the 2nd windshield and the guy that did it blamed it on us.. and for a first car i dont think its all that bad.. I dont know for sure yet.. I know i can find something decent around here for 7 or 8 grand. But this is free and needs some stuff. Ill make my decision as I get closer to getting my license.. thanks..

Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll tell you that I got mine for a song, but it needed work. I can do the work, but this has been the easiest vehicle I have ever worked on, and there is a ton of help out there if you need it... I don't think you will regret fixing this one up. I don't, and I tinker with mine at least once a week...

Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
4wd Low

well thanks for your help.. im not quite sure yet.. i have the summer to think about it and maybe start working on it.. buy a bumper or fix this or that and well see how it goes..

Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take it. You wont be sorry. The pride and experiance you will get from working on it will be priceless.
Here is a link for alot of salvage parts.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/

Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I priced out a windshield last fall for $175, windshield only. I was going to put a new one in mine myself. It was $250 installed. A new gasket if you needed one, would add a lot to the price, probably. Front fenders are expensive new. If you can straighten up yours, or get new. Also, have you considered welding up a new rear bumper with some square tube?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
4wd Low

ill rig whatever needs riggin.. nothing like something you rigged together yourself..