Discovery Sport Talk about the new 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport

Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain

I have a 2015 Discovery Sport I purchased it 2 years ago from Farnell Land rover, they serviced it for me over the past 2 years.
2 weeks ago I heard a rattling noise from the engine and I took it in, they advised the timing chain is damaged and needs replacing at £3000 + VAT.
The car has only done 58k miles
Everyone I ask say it should last at least 100k miles yet they are saying its wear and tear and refuse to cooperate other than offer a 20% goodwill gesture.
Anyone had similar issues?

Old 06-22-2021, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default Timing chain

Originally Posted by Jezzaron
I have a 2015 Discovery Sport I purchased it 2 years ago from Farnell Land rover, they serviced it for me over the past 2 years.
2 weeks ago I heard a rattling noise from the engine and I took it in, they advised the timing chain is damaged and needs replacing at £3000 + VAT.
The car has only done 58k miles
Everyone I ask say it should last at least 100k miles yet they are saying its wear and tear and refuse to cooperate other than offer a 20% goodwill gesture.
Anyone had similar issues?
I had same thing
i took it to JLR for a diagnosis and they told me it was the timing chain,
they booked me in for the 25th of June 21 to have the work done and sent me on my way.
they said they will speak to JLR UK to see if they can replace it for free as there is no service interval for the timing chain on the diesel ingenioum engine
and so it should last the lifetime of the car if it isn’t a serviceable item.
and the car was only 3 1/2 years old.
anyway last week 1 week before my appointment for the repair it died on me so the AA recovered me to JLR they diagnosed that the timing chain had gone and it needs a new engine so now they are speaking to JLR uk to see what they can do for me as nobody told me not to drive it in fact he just gave me the key back the first diagnosis and said we’ll see you in two weeks.
now I’m still waiting

Old 11-15-2022, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dave N
I had same thing
they booked me in for the 25th of June 21 to have the work done and sent me on my way.
they said they will speak to JLR UK to see if they can replace it for free as there is no service interval for the timing chain on the diesel ingenioum engine
anyway last week 1 week before my appointment for the repair it died on me so the AA recovered me to JLR they diagnosed that the timing chain had gone and it needs a new engine so now they are speaking to JLR uk to see what they can do for me as nobody told me not to drive it in fact he just gave me the key back the first diagnosis and said we’ll see you in two weeks.
now I’m still waiting
Hi guys i am having the same issue have you had any success ?

Old 11-15-2022, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear
Default New engine

Originally Posted by Denton
hi there
I fought with Landrover Uk for 12 weeks regarding fixing my car for free as the car was at JLR stripped down in the end Landrover Uk offered to pay 50% towards the engine and turbo which was £11000 in total so it still cost me £5500 of my own it’s outrageous what they can get away with but you have to keep fighting and not give up or they’ll just say no.
cheers
dave

Old 11-15-2022, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dave N
I had same thing
now I’m still waiting
Hi Dave Thanks for your response. my mechanic friend looked at my RRS d 2L & said he thinks there maybe an issue with timing chain. i am driving to spain end of this month so i want it fixing asap do you have a number for Landrover directly who can help? Its only done 85,000 miles

Old 11-15-2022, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

Landrover uk
0370 500 0500

Old 11-15-2022, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks

Old 11-21-2022, 08:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Discovery sport timingchain

Originally Posted by Denton
To all
I have a 2017 Discovery sport 2.0 TDI, has done 149,000 kilometers and has the same problem, has anyone attempted to change the timing chain themselves? or do you know of a good instructional video on replacing the timing chain?