Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Installing a aftermarket temp sender

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a aftermarket temp sender

Is there a spot to install a aftermartket temp sending unit on a 03 freelander. I know they dont like heat but this way i could watch it better. Thanks Joe

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

buy an ultra gauge and plug in $70

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you used them and can it be used on any other autos?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Or you can install a sandwich adapter plate between the oil filter and the mount then you have 3 spots to hook up either an oil pressure gauge or oil temp.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....i have them all and i'd go with the ultragauge on this rig. unless you want the look of mechanical or need something the computer doesn't supply like oil pressure then you have to go sandwich plate and glowshift.

or if you're an Android guy find one of the apps the other guys are using here for $15 of adaptor and the app. I'm sure the iphone does it too.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

He asked about a temp sender, not an oil pressure sender. You can cut the radiator hose and install one of these: 28 MM or 1 1/8 Inch Water Sender Attachment

I installed one on my DII and it works well. Measure your hose to get the correct diameter.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Pro Wrench

yeah it was a little vague...but to clarify, if the computer has the info you can use the ultragauge or android aps. if it doesn't then you need a sandwich. like i said, i have both.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench

The Ultragauge is definitely a nice tool and if you are only looking to read the temperature, that is probably the way to go. It also reads all of the codes your vehicle will be throwing. IOn my truck, I wanted to install an oil pressure gauge that I had so I made up a custom pod and added a teperature gauge while I was at it. It indicates what is happening with the engine temp overall, but having a readout with a precise temperature reading is a better way to go. I will likely be adding an Ultragauge to mine at some point, unless they come up with an Iphone app for monitoring through the OBDII port.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
The Ultragauge is definitely a nice tool and if you are only looking to read the temperature, that is probably the way to go. It also reads all of the codes your vehicle will be throwing. IOn my truck, I wanted to install an oil pressure gauge that I had so I made up a custom pod and added a teperature gauge while I was at it. It indicates what is happening with the engine temp overall, but having a readout with a precise temperature reading is a better way to go. I will likely be adding an Ultragauge to mine at some point, unless they come up with an Iphone app for monitoring through the OBDII port.
not sure what truck you have but my D1 requires a sandwich for oil pressure. I think the D2 would as well. it's not being reported to the computer.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 09-19-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: 03 freelander sorry.....
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Rover deleted the oil cooler from the 4.6 DII's, so I just removed the plug in the block and installed the sender there. In the 4.0 DII's and the DI's, you need a sandwich adapter or a tee in the oil cooler line. I posted some info on it in this thread: Installed New Gauges - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Quick Reply: Installing a aftermarket temp sender