Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

re-ring one cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-ring one cylinder?

Is it possible to pull a piston and re-ring it thru the oil pan without removing the whole engine? I just did a compression test and my # 2 cylinder has 90psi when all my other ones have around 145psi. The # 2 cylinder was the spot where the head gasket was blown also. Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: re-ring one cylinder?

4 cylinder or 8?

If it's a 4 then... I suppose if you hacksawed through the crank you might manage to get the piston and con rod out past it... of course welding it back up again afterwards might be a bit tricky, particularly getting the balance right again. Would be a lot more work that way than taking the lump out and doing it properly. While you've got the lump out and in bits you could recon the others too and have a perfect engine at the end of it

I can't commnent on an 8 - but I'd understand why you'd want to try rather than doing all 8.

Cheers,

Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Drifting

its the 4.0 8cyl. Yea i should do them all at once i was just looking to squeak a lil more time outta my new head gasket work before i had to tear it down and do it all over again. I thought i read a thread on here a while ago where a guy re-ringed one by just dropping the oil pan, but i could be mistaken.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I doubt you need a set of rings. Why don't you have someone do both a wet and dry compression test as well as a leak down to determine what the problem is. Rovers don't go thru rings, just head gaskets amd the occasional valve that sticks due to carbon.
Mike

Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Drifting

i will do that, thanks Mike. This is my first land rover and i think im in over my head...I still cant figure out why it starts an idles fine but wont take any throttle.It seems like the timing is off or its not getting enough fuel. Itruns even worse after the engine heats up. Ive done plugs/wires a fuel filter and nothing seems to help.Thanks again

Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

What year and how many miles???
Mike

Old 06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Drifting

its a 96 and it has 140k on it. I started this morning and it ran perfect when it was still cold, i was able to accelerate, it reved up fine till its started to heat up. Then it startedmisfireing an popin thru the airbox then it eventually overheated. Some one said I may have dropped a sleeve but i have know idea what that means. Im familier with engines but ive never heard that term till i started reading this forum.
thanks,

Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

I am leaning towards a bad exhaust valve.
Probably time to pull the heads and see what little Rover surprise you find.
Mike

Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Drifting

I will do that this weekend. I will inspect my valves and check for a warped head. Is there a visual sign when the head is off if a sleeve has moved?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

If you had dropped a sleeve, you have a very rough, over heating engine if you could even start it.
The valve guides on some Disco heads are know to cause excess carbon build up, compression droppage and valve issues.
Mike

Quick Reply: re-ring one cylinder?