Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
While I was in there I noticed the heater hoses on the rover are 5/8, but one of the LS water pump outlets is 3/4...what are we doing there? Just a 5/8-3/4 adapter?
I think actually one of the LS is 5/8 and the other is 3/4. I just used one 3/4 hose and one 5/8 hose and tightened them down good. You also need the Y in one of the hoses for the overflow tank.

Originally Posted by homerj
I haven't purchased the kit yet so this may be covered in the documentation, but is it possible to use the GM power steering pump?
No, GM pump is totally different shape/size. It would require a different accessory bracket / assembly.

Last edited by CaptainAaron; 03-14-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
I think actually one of the LS is 5/8 and the other is 3/4. I just used one 3/4 hose and one 5/8 hose and tightened them down good. You also need the Y in one of the hoses for the overflow tank.
Thinking about this more. A while back, Losinov and I had a discussion on my build thread about the routing. I think this was what he did. I have the Y in the 5/8 line.

5/8 inch water pump outlet -> 5/8 hose -> heater core
3/4 inch water pump outlet -> 3/4 hose -> 3-way connector with pipe from overflow tank -> heater core

Something like this should work for the 3/4:
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-14-2021, 03:17 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

This is exactly the info I needed. Thanks Aaron!

Old 04-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Take it easy on the heater hoses at the firewall....... mine are now leaking.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:26 PM
Mudding

Hi Everyone,
I have a couple questions;

#1 - Coolant Hoses to Radiator & Water Pump
- Do we get rid of the plastic T fitting all together? I just hooked up my hoses and don't see the need for it now. Just double checking this. From what I can tell the only fitting in there should be the one with the temp sensor in it..?
(I was not able to put the sensor in the block)

#2 - Throttle Body
- I have an outlet coming out of the top of the TB & it is making contact with an outlet on the Intake.
They appear to do the same thing...can anyone confirm this? I'm wondering if the TB outlet needs to be capped, or if it unthreads or pulls out if I yank on it? lol..
- Am I missing an extra cable guide here for the Cruise control? I dont have anywhere to hook the cable end into at the moment...

Pretty much need to narrow these little things down then all I have left to do is the wiring... then we'll see if she runs!

Last edited by 604x4BC; 04-05-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:54 PM
Rock Crawling

#1 - Coolant Hoses to Radiator & Water Pump
- Do we get rid of the plastic T fitting all together? I just hooked up my hoses and don't see the need for it now. Just double checking this. From what I can tell the only fitting in there should be the one with the temp sensor in it..?
(I was not able to put the sensor in the block)
It should go LS top outlet -> hose -> metal sender with coolant temp sensor -> S-hose to radiator -> radiator.

You can just cut the hoses from the old Rover motor to fit for the top half. The bottom (radiator return) you need the BMW hose and to cut it to fit.

#2 - Throttle Body
- I have an outlet coming out of the top of the TB & it is making contact with an outlet on the Intake.
They appear to do the same thing...can anyone confirm this? I'm wondering if the TB outlet needs to be capped, or if it unthreads or pulls out if I yank on it? lol..
- Am I missing an extra cable guide here for the Cruise control? I dont have anywhere to hook the cable end into at the moment...

Pretty much need to narrow these little things down then all I have left to do is the wiring... then we'll see if she runs!
I think you can pull that one out of the throttle body and cap it. I think that is what I did - might would try to spin it out first. I think it is just a PCV breather to the valve body. It also looks like your throttle cable is under the breather hose, I would put it on top.

Cruise control hooks to the little nub on the side of the throttle body. Mine is hooked there with a little clip - I'll try to find some pics.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
It should go LS top outlet -> hose -> metal sender with coolant temp sensor -> S-hose to radiator -> radiator.

You can just cut the hoses from the old Rover motor to fit for the top half. The bottom (radiator return) you need the BMW hose and to cut it to fit.

I think you can pull that one out of the throttle body and cap it. I think that is what I did - might would try to spin it out first. I think it is just a PCV breather to the valve body. It also looks like your throttle cable is under the breather hose, I would put it on top.

Cruise control hooks to the little nub on the side of the throttle body. Mine is hooked there with a little clip - I'll try to find some pics.
Yes that can pop that right out of the throttle body. Use a twisting motion when pulling it out. For the cruise control cable, if your throttle body didn't come with the cruise control cable connector/adjuster, you can just buy a Dorman 41040. You'll need to cut off the stop and add your own.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Mudding

Thanks Guys! Much appreciated.
Just pulled the TB tube out, that was easy..Grinded a bolt down until it fit in the hole and whacked it with a hammer a little bit..
Off to Amazon to order that Dorman clip now...

Last edited by 604x4BC; 04-06-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Hello everyone,

Glad to see that the builds are still progressing on this thread! We have some exciting new projects that I'll be detailing here soon. In the meantime, I was wondering if everyone would mind filling out a survey of what Land Rover projects y'all would be interested in seeing us look into in the future. I linked the survey below. Thanks!

Survey: https://forms.gle/HtAGwCnKsnCSZETF9

The following users liked this post:
604x4BC (04-07-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 05:17 PM
Mudding

......aaaand back with another question...this time it's more related to fittings than this engine swap...

I'm working on building my Trans cooler lines and I'm having trouble with a compression fitting on the hardlines.
I'm not very familiar with using AN compression fittings, learning as I go....I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong here or just have the wrong type of fitting...

I've got my sleeve and nut over the hardline, when that black thread is tightened into the blue compression fitting, the sleeve flares into the threads of the blue fitting, and that is a good thing...but once its tight I can pull the whole thing right off the hardline with ease.
Based on my limited knowledge of these fittings, I am wondering if this sleeve im using is actually meant to be used with a hose barb....or if Im doing it wrong...

This is the blue fitting I am trying to use;
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 604x4BC; 04-13-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion