Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I personally don't think k&n is a good air filter choice for street vehicles, especially ones thay might see dusty trails.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PickleRick
I personally don't think k&n is a good air filter choice for street vehicles, especially ones thay might see dusty trails.
I agree, but it was the easiest option for getting enough air to the LS through the factory airbox, which I use for its connections to my snorkel. I've been keeping a close eye on it. If I plan on going through something particularly dirty, I can always switch it to a 'normal' filter, then switch back. If you don't care about using the factory airbox with the LS, then you have a lot more options for filters.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
I agree, but it was the easiest option for getting enough air to the LS through the factory airbox, which I use for its connections to my snorkel. I've been keeping a close eye on it. If I plan on going through something particularly dirty, I can always switch it to a 'normal' filter, then switch back. If you don't care about using the factory airbox with the LS, then you have a lot more options for filters.
is the air box too restrictive or is the snorkel too restrictive?

I've been game planning a snorkel using the factory air box. I'd like to run it inside the front fender then take it up out the fender by the drivers mirror.

visually, the cold side intake of the air box seems to be restrictive. The surface area of the air filter isn't much smaller than that of my power stroke 7.3

Old 10-24-2021, 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PickleRick
is the air box too restrictive or is the snorkel too restrictive?

I've been game planning a snorkel using the factory air box. I'd like to run it inside the front fender then take it up out the fender by the drivers mirror.

visually, the cold side intake of the air box seems to be restrictive. The surface area of the air filter isn't much smaller than that of my power stroke 7.3
It's the air box. I did a whole bunch of trials with different setups. The airbox has an internal baffle that is a restriction and I had to cut out. I discussed it on my LS thread a while back: https://landroverforums.com/forum/en...cations-99712/

Old 10-24-2021, 02:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the great info... been working on this build since march, dumping a lot of money in it and want ti to work right! Learned a lot already. Ive been using K&N but think I need to go with a paper filter b/c of the dusty areas we ride trails. I also think the oil can dirty up the maf and map sensors.

Winter project is going to be:
upgrading current 3" TF lift to RTE 4.5" lift kit with all the goodiesRe-gear and maybe rear lockerupgrade to 33" or 35" from current 31" re-finish front seats
Rear bumperRoof Rack
Lights

Old 10-24-2021, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by rynoman1
Thanks for all the great info... been working on this build since march, dumping a lot of money in it and want ti to work right! Learned a lot already. Ive been using K&N but think I need to go with a paper filter b/c of the dusty areas we ride trails. I also think the oil can dirty up the maf and map sensors.

Winter project is going to be:
upgrading current 3" TF lift to RTE 4.5" lift kit with all the goodiesRe-gear and maybe rear lockerupgrade to 33" or 35" from current 31" re-finish front seats
Rear bumperRoof Rack
Lights
Might want to consider going to a Compushift for trans control if you are going to big tire sizes / re-gearing. It will let you change the shift profiles and customize the shift points. ACE has done one like that, but it requires some special electronics to keep the dash from lighting up.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
Might want to consider going to a Compushift for trans control if you are going to big tire sizes / re-gearing. It will let you change the shift profiles and customize the shift points. ACE has done one like that, but it requires some special electronics to keep the dash from lighting up.
got any links for more info on this? I was considering trying to find a way to spoof rpm output from engine speed sensor to help control rpms of shifts.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I finished the ACE swap about 3 months ago and I've basically had no problems. Basically no problems means I had to jump it once, for some reason it wouldn't do anything, but after that I haven't had a problem, and my temp gauge drops to 0 and the red light comes on when I start it when it's cold, but works fine once the engine is warmed up. I'll make my own thread about that though. I haven't had any real problems with it after 5000 miles. Any problems are coming from my end on how certain parts are installed or something. The kit works great.

The following 4 users liked this post by Landrolet:
04disco2va (10-27-2022), CaptainAaron (01-12-2022), Richard Gallant (01-17-2022), rynoman1 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default All good

500miles on the clock so far, 0 issues.
No lights on the dash, no problems whatsoever.
Couple of possible factors for this...
#1 I don't know what gen my kit was but I know it wasn't gen1
#2 Used a new PSI Harness & ECM

#3 I am very very detailed and OCD **** about certain things...I worked on this whole thing very slowly and took me 1 year & 5 months to finnish.. Only due to available time.. Did this at work when it was slow times.. but this allowed me time to read the entire forum several times over, study the rave manual, read the ACE manuals over and over and familiarize myself with everything to do with the vehicle and gm engine.

​​​​​​Overall 100% happy with this project and would do it again in a heartbeat!

The following 4 users liked this post by 604x4BC:
04disco2va (10-27-2022), danyboyGA (08-17-2022), kdscott100 (08-16-2022), rynoman1 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
500miles on the clock so far, 0 issues.
No lights on the dash, no problems whatsoever.
Couple of possible factors for this...
#1 I don't know what gen my kit was but I know it wasn't gen1
#2 Used a new PSI Harness & ECM

#3 I am very very detailed and OCD **** about certain things...I worked on this whole thing very slowly and took me 1 year & 5 months to finnish.. Only due to available time.. Did this at work when it was slow times.. but this allowed me time to read the entire forum several times over, study the rave manual, read the ACE manuals over and over and familiarize myself with everything to do with the vehicle and gm engine.

​​​​​​Overall 100% happy with this project and would do it again in a heartbeat!
HAHA! I'm the guy following you on IG that was asking the questions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ;-)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion Reviews