Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Engine swap??? Ford 300 I-6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap??? Ford 300 I-6?

Does anyone know if someone could swap out the factory 4.6, and drop in a Ford 300 I-6? I am thinking that the 300 would be a torque monster in the land rover, and they run forever, and are bulletproof, IF it would fit into the engine bay due to its increased length. I thought that would give the option of a 5-speed, or E4od auto. Anyone with MUCH more expertise on the subject have an opinion to offer?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Height is going to be your real problem I bet.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MyIQisLow
Does anyone know if someone could swap out the factory 4.6, and drop in a Ford 300 I-6? I am thinking that the 300 would be a torque monster in the land rover, and they run forever, and are bulletproof, IF it would fit into the engine bay due to its increased length. I thought that would give the option of a 5-speed, or E4od auto. Anyone with MUCH more expertise on the subject have an opinion to offer?
The 300 is a good engine, but I think putting it into a Disco would be difficult. First, as Army said, the height would become a problem. Second, the 300 is longer, the clearance with the radiator, fan, accessory drive, etc. would be a problem. An electric fan setup would be needed.

We looked at a lot of engine options before deciding to go with LS 5.3 swap. It was the best power per dollar upgrade, with great aftermarket support. No engine swap with these trucks is easy, especially if you want the electrical to continue working at the end.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll try to do some research, and see if I can find some good info on the dimensions of the 300, and the engine bay. My first thought was a 289, or 302, seems like those might be an easier option. If so, I guess a 351 would also be able to fit. Just curious at this point, but as my disco is running really well actually, but at some point in the future, I may be looking to do a swap, since I have no intentions on getting rid of it.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

So I was able to find these dimensions, but I could not find the dimensions of the engine bay. Anyone happen to have those dimensions handy?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Go measure and find out!

Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll try to do some research, and see if I can find some good info on the dimensions of the 300, and the engine bay. My first thought was a 289, or 302, seems like those might be an easier option. If so, I guess a 351 would also be able to fit. Just curious at this point, but as my disco is running really well actually, but at some point in the future, I may be looking to do a swap, since I have no intentions on getting rid of it.
just curious...why a Ford motor?
don’t get me wrong, I am 51 years old, and until I bought this Disco I have never owned anything but a Ford my entire adult life; but since the Disco V8 is basically a Buick engine with the same displacement, why not put a GM in it?

Doc

Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Lol, because I am 33 years old, and until I bought this Land Rover, I have never owned anything other than a Ford, which Ford owned Land Rover when this Disco was made. I have no interest in a GM motor, and would get flak for the rest of my life from my Dad, who has never bought anything other than a Ford ( he was given a Toyota Starlet when I was about 10)... Just personal preference is all. And the 4.6 is a Bosch (BMW) motor. The 3.9/4.0 Gems motor was the Buick design, I believe. I am not sure how similar the two motors are though.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Same motors both are Buick design. BMW motor was the 4.4 used in the L322 Range Rover 2003-2005.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol, because I am 33 years old, and until I bought this Land Rover, I have never owned anything other than a Ford, which Ford owned Land Rover when this Disco was made. I have no interest in a GM motor, and would get flak for the rest of my life from my Dad, who has never bought anything other than a Ford ( he was given a Toyota Starlet when I was about 10)... Just personal preference is all. And the 4.6 is a Bosch (BMW) motor. The 3.9/4.0 Gems motor was the Buick design, I believe. I am not sure how similar the two motors are though.
FORD owned the company but the motor has been a GM design since the 50s; Ford never altered the engine design to allow for a Ford replacement.

Ford owned part of Mazda too...but you didn’t see them replacing the rotary engine with 4c from a Pinto...know what I mean?

anyway...it’s your wallet 👍🏻

Doc

Quick Reply: Engine swap??? Ford 300 I-6?