Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

The quest for an LS powered D2

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2024 | 02:19 AM
|
Drifting
Default The quest for an LS powered D2

It all began after finding ACE. I knew eventually I would want an LS. Then, BoulderCharles' D2 surfaced on a YouTube video by TFL. An LS plus a 6 speed auto. Why not? If I was going to do the work, I might as well go all out.
Then it was finally time. Head gaskets blew on the highway, and I was done with the Rover V8.

And so began the journey. I started with Mark's 4wd kit for the 6L80 to LT230. Then the hunt for engine and trans. My intention was to attempt to keep the cost similar to doing the ACE swap. I ended up with a Gen 3 LS and a core 6L90. Both were rebuilt and the engine was converted to appear to the computer as a Gen 4 sans displacement on demand and VVT.

Out came the Rover engine and in went the LS. I installed the trans separately. The 6L90 output shaft required modification to work with the Mark's kit. In hindsight, the 6L80 would have been easier, but the 6L90 was the lowest cost iteration I could find at the time.

The wiring harness is from a Gen 4 LS out of a Suburban or something. I had to make several concessions and modifications. The intake manifold being a major one. All truck manifolds were too high. The car versions were an easy albeit expensive solution. So far it runs and drives around the block. I am finishing out a bunch of small projects.

One of my major wins has been that all of this has been done with no magic black box to convert signals. I did retain the Rover ECU for that purpose, and I will be using a GM BCM to make use of a few other signals. Those are my only "black boxes". Hopefully, I will have it finished out enough to drive and provide more details.

The following 2 users liked this post by LSDiscoMike:
fokkermech (10-01-2024), whowa004 (10-09-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 07:25 AM
Drifting

Very Nice, great job. Looks like your engine seats a little higher then the ACE kit. does your truck have a lift? I'm guessing that is why the truck intake wouldn't fit. I have a 2 inch lift on mine and still feel the front center diff is too clos to the oil pan.
More pictures!

Old 10-01-2024 | 09:35 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by James2450
Very Nice, great job. Looks like your engine seats a little higher then the ACE kit. does your truck have a lift? I'm guessing that is why the truck intake wouldn't fit. I have a 2 inch lift on mine and still feel the front center diff is too clos to the oil pan.
More pictures!
Thanks James. The engine does sit higher. The motor mount plate gets welded over the LR frame mount. I talked to one guy who was going to lower it. I just saw too many oil pans destroyed because of the front diff. I was happy to let mine sit up higher. Mine has/had the medium duty TF lift. I'm putting on some OME springs to compensate for the weight and because I plan to tow as well.

Not the best picture, but it gives you some idea with the factory truck pan. You should measure yours. I'm curious what/if there is any difference. Did you use a lower profile pan?

Old 10-08-2024 | 08:58 AM
Drifting

Hi Mike, sorry didn't see the reply. I'm using the GM muscle car swap pan. only have 3.25" clearance same 2" lift as yours.
Bad photo, but your in much better shape then I.

Old 10-08-2024 | 10:54 AM
Drifting

Knowing it is only 3" makes me very nervous now. I will need to make some changes.

Old 10-12-2024 | 02:43 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by James2450
Knowing it is only 3" makes me very nervous now. I will need to make some changes.
Yeah I feel you. I was super paranoid after seeing several of the guys crack the pan. I know there is a Holley pan that is super shallow up at the front. I was keeping that in the back of my mind, but it's $500. Knowing my engine sits higher puts my mind in a bit more ease. Plus I will be adding a bit more lift. I think the rear of the pan is more likely to hit than the front.

Here is a more recent picture.

Old 10-13-2024 | 06:52 PM

This is the pan I used on mine, had to buy one since mine came with a trailblazer pan. I’ll try to snap a picture of it later, but clearance does not seem to be an issue. Price isn’t terrible either.

https://wolfdesigncompany.com/ls-swap-low-pro-oil-pan/

Old Today | 10:25 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jensen Vermont Stenberg
This is the pan I used on mine, had to buy one since mine came with a trailblazer pan. I’ll try to snap a picture of it later, but clearance does not seem to be an issue. Price isn’t terrible either.

https://wolfdesigncompany.com/ls-swap-low-pro-oil-pan/
Jensen,
I saw your FB post. I forget which swap are you doing? ACE or something else?

Old Today | 12:35 PM

ACE kit.