Forum Help & Suggestion Center This section is NOT for vehicle technical questions. This section is for problems or suggestions for the forum itself.

Blue words and ads

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Blue words and ads

I see a lot of words in Blue and when I pass my mouse over them, I get a small screen that pops up with ads for mostly Volkswagen cars. is this something with this site? I don't get it with other sites. It is rather annoying if I am reading something and it gets blocked by this screen.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

roll over pop up ads.... that is the whole reason I am a member here.. i look at it like a game dodging those dam* things. I don't even have a land rover but the mall crawler jeep forum doesn't have this game, so I troll

an added bonus is when you try to use the search/quick links/my posts area and no matter what you click, you get directed to ad click advertising.. fun fun

Last edited by dusty1; 11-11-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The hyperlinks are generated by scripts from other sites that are located on the page. I use firefox with the NoScript plug-in and don't see them. It blocks all scripts except ones you permit. For instance, for most sites you have to permit scripts from the site, like from https://landroverforums.com
The down side is that so many hack web developers seem compelled to add lots of external scripts that prevent the site for working if you don't permit them. For the most part those sites I just don't go to. A number of them are eCommerce sites that therefore loose my business. I buy from places that don't do that.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And der Googlemasters are hard at work. I looked up info for a few thermography cameras for the office, and it get all sorts of ads for those on this site, and since I started buying a great deal at Grainger their banner ads appear more often.

Now I don't fault our hosts, after all it takes a lot of money to keep all this running for hundreds of sites that generate their millions of page views. What a great business model - you have members who are fanatic and infect new members with enthusiasm, the vehicles (no matter which brand) get older, need more repair, and cheaper to afford (more noobie members), etc. And a high repair rate vehicle (like Rover) generates more traffic. And the moderators work cheap. As in volunteer (wonder if it is deductible?). The more popular a story (zombie head gasket replacement) the more views for a post and more ads shown to people.

I'm glad IB (our host) has great ad sales, and I'm proud that ours is one of their top traffic sites.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Problem solver. No more Youtube ad videos, no more spam links, no more etc.....

https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You gave me a pretty good laugh Dusty.

Streetwolf I don't feel like I can thank you enough for just giving that link!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Yup, that did it for me! my thanks also!!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, you better check your bank account. that is a trojan virus that will drain your accounts, pennies at a time. Streetwolf has been up to these shenanigans for over a decade

Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

seriously, that worked great for me....thanks

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Good luck draining my bank account, I own a land rover. What makes you think there is any money in there???

Just kidding. no online banking done on this computer.

Quick Reply: Blue words and ads