Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

'02 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007 | 01:01 PM
|
4wd Low
Default '02 transmission problems

I have an '02 with the V6, auto tranny.

The other night, I'm driving home at 65 mph and it felt like the tranny just went into neutral all by itself. It would not give any power to the wheels. If I let it sit with the engine off for 15-20 minutes, it will go into gear and drive about 12 feet before it goes out again. None of the gears work, R, D, 4, 2, nor 1. There are no trouble codes, the MIL light is off, I checked the trans fluid (which was kinda dirty)and the shift cable and I can't figure out what is causing this.

I recently replaced a couple fuel injectors and the thermostat. A week ago, the HDC warning light came on along with the F$ on the odometer. I pulled over and restarted the engine and it went away. Would this have anything to do with it?

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2007 | 06:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: '02 transmission problems

I have the same 02' Freelander. This will happen to me mostly when I drive when the temp gauge is not warmed up yet, horizontal on the dash. Almost sounds and feels like a misfire and sometimes there may be a thunk in the transmission, when changing gears. I would have to let the temp gauge rise to normal, then it almost never happens . (almost)
This similar occurance will also happen to me on the highway when I depress the acc. for kickdown from 5 to 4 to pass, in D mode.. I would not have any gear and not much power. I have to pull over (coast) and restart, probem solved. The cruise control on mine is suspect at times, I hardly ever use it anymore. I'm no mechanic, I'm a sound and smell guy when it comes to my truck.

Blue M.

Old 05-18-2007 | 07:28 AM
Administrator

I would go to a tranny shop and have them scan for tranny codes. You should change your fluid, dirty fluid doesn't cut it but remember you can only use Rover ATF, any thing else can kill your tranny.
Mike

Old 05-23-2007 | 01:30 PM
|
4wd Low

I found out I needed a new transmission. I called every place within a 50 mile radius and everyone said that from the symptoms I described, I needed to rebuild the tranny. Since nobody around here felt comforable rebuilding it, (including the land rover dealer) I just had the dealership put a remanufactured one in. It works great now except for the alignment is off, and I have a new dent in the door. They are taking care of that though.

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:31 AM
3rd Gear

2 years ago had the same problem, brought it to the rover dealer and he said that there was a note (not a recall) on this and because I was livid and stuck he replaced the transmission at no cost to me (thanks again). The car runs great now but there are other nit picky things about my freelander.

Larry

Old 06-28-2007 | 09:41 AM
|
4wd Low

It's been a while since I've been on here, so I'll fill you in.

I didn't even make it through a tank of gas after the tranny replacement when one of the smaller timing belts broke. Now I am in the process of rebuilding the head and replacing all of the timing belts. I'm fixing this myself cause the dealership is charging around $4500. After paying for the replacement tranny, I can't afford that. The total cost for doing it myself is around $600.

I hate this car, I will never buy another land rover as long as I live. I will do everything in my power to prevent everyone I know from ever buying one.

The same hour that I finish fixing it, I am going to trade it in on another vehicle before it has a chance to break down again.