Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission questions/problems

i bought a 1995 discovery today with automatic tranny. reverse works fine, however it will only drive in forward gears in low, does nothing in foward gears in hi. acts like its in neutral. i have only owned toyotas, never any landrovers. can any one help me. thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: transmission questions/problems

I guess I'd start by checking tranny fluid levels to make sure they're where they should be (you've probably already done that). After this, I'd change the fluid with new. Not only that, I'd use Penzoil ATF as it contains an anti-shudder compound and other agents that I've personally had resolve issues vs other fluids. If that doesn't do the trick, then you might take it to a tranny shop and see if they have any ideas, run pressure tests. Or if a rebuild is immenant, you might as well get some miracle tranny repair dope in a can. Get it from a tranny shop. I've actually seen guys use it with success, and my brother got thousands of miles on a tranny in a car that wouldn't even move when he got it! He had to let it sit in drive (gear) about 1/2 hr, but eventually it started to move, then a little more. It's a stop-gap measure that you might try prior to a rebuild. Not good suggestions, but that's where I'd start.