Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

03 Freelander, won't start, maybe no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Freelander, won't start, maybe no fuel

Hello All,

First post here. First time Rover owner.

I recently acquired an 03 Freelander v6. The previous owner didn't have it running for about 3 years and hardly drove in for the last 8 years.

I picked it up for $2,000, as is, with 25K.

He's a wealthy gentlemen with health problems and two other vehicles. This rover has sat in his heated garage since it wouldn't start 3 years ago. The story that I got from a mutual friend who told me about he rover is that they couldn't get the engine to fire since the battery went dead and it was replaced.

It cranks fine, but no fire.

I took off the schraeder valve cover on the fuel rail, and depressed the valve while it was in the second 'on' position on the key switch, as well as cranking it over in the 'start' position. No fuel pushed out of the valve.

I took of the cover under the cargo space floor to access the pump. I pulled off the fuel line and tried again. No fuel.

I gathered that there have been some recalls for the fuel system and/ or pump.

Looking for advice before having it towed to the dealer for the recall work.

I would like to drain the old fuel out of the tank, as well.

Seems that I can make a tool to open the lock ring, and remove the pump. Should I be able to siphon out the gas by removing the pump?

Thanks.

Sean

Last edited by SouthSoundTree; 11-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It most likely has had the battery die, then when replaced or jumped the electonics are immobilizing the vehicle to prevent theft. Fuel can be siphoned from the tank with a suitable hose. IMHO work on getting spark and fuel pump to run, checking voltages, etc. The RAVEshop manual set should be a help to yo.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:18 PM
4th Gear

Thanks so much, Savannah Buzz.

I have changed the relay with another from the relay box, so I believe that either the relay is okay, or I have two bad relays.

I would figure the next thing is to check the fuel pump and the ECU. How can I test to see that they each work? Do I just test the different electrodes on the multi-plug at the fuel pump with a test light with the key switched to "on"?

The download just completed, so I'll do some reading.

Thanks.

Last edited by SouthSoundTree; 11-23-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM
4th Gear

Is there a anti-theft security system that I haven't heard about? Wouldn't it be in the Owner's Manual?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

I read more about the security system. It seems there is an alarm, which I haven't been able able to activate.

The engine immobilisation seems that it should be shut off by the key being engaged.

I had a guy listen to the fuel pump with the floor open. He was able to hear it make some noise, he thought.