Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

2002 Freelander thermostat help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Kat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Freelander thermostat help needed!

Just purchased a 2002 Freelander 2.5 and now it is leaking antifreezewe are trying to replace the thermostat but can't even find it! Does anyone know where it is?! Where to get instructions on how to replace it? From reading the problems with this model it looks like this is commonwe would like to fix it before alot of damage is done and we certainly can't afford the LR mechanicprices started at $1600.00! Please help! Thanks, Kim[&:]

Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Freelander thermostat help needed!

under the intake... get a flashlight and look into the valley from the pass side past the alternator, if you have coolant down there, its leaking

Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend replacing the bypass pipe at the same time, as it tends to be broken easily on removal and is held down by the same single bolt that holds the t-stat housing to the block. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way. Good luck.

-Kyle

Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Drifting

Hey Kim,

I've had to replace the same part on mine and I can say you're in for a bit of a battle. If you want precise instructions, try to get a RAVE Land Rover shop manual and you can piece together a walk through for the job. The worst of this task is that, as noted above, the thermostat is under the intake seated in the middle on the block. I managed to squeeze mine in without removing the intake manifold, but in retrospect, it might have been a good idea. If you chose to go the latter route make sure to purchase new gaskets and torque to spec afterwards. If you're not mechanically inclined, buy a 6 pack and call up a friend who is because it can get tricky.

Cheers

Chris

Old 09-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Overlanding

LAW OFFICES OF HOWARD A. GUTMAN

230 Route 206, Suite 307

Flanders, New Jersey 07836

Phone (973) 598-1980 Fax (973) 598-1982

Please get in touch with Mr. Gutman. We have a class action lawsuit against Landrover. I have a 2003 Freelander, I've replaced the engine, the fuel pump, the brakes on passenger side at least 10 times. My car sat at the LR dealership in american fork Utah for 10 months. My car was still under the original factory warranty. I was given a rental car for 10 months. After all was said & done I got stuck with a rebuilt engine at the price of $7000, a rental car bill $6000, paid for a car that I did not use for 10 months & insurance on that car. Finally, after finding others that had the same problems with thier freelander and a young lady on you tube who had wanted to file a class action law suit. Land Rover North America would never return my phone calls, and blamed me for being negligent in the care of my car & thats why I had the problems. I had paperwork, showing that I had done the recommended oil changes etc. I recieved a phone call from Michael at LRNA customer relations, last week & this week, trying to reimburse me for the engine. I forwarded the phone call to Mr. Gutman in hopes that we will soon have these unsafe vehicles off of the road & no one will ever purchase one of these money pits AGAIN!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

I would acclaim replacing the bypass aqueduct at the aforementioned time, as it tends to be torn calmly on abatement and is captivated down by the aforementioned individual bolt that holds the t-stat apartment to the block. A little antitoxin aliment goes a continued way. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Overlanding

Have you figured this one out? For you to locate your car thermostat, just follow the top radiator hose to the engine, where the two meet is where the thermostat is.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

The thermostat is under the intake seated in the middle on the block, good luck man...

Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 AM
4th Gear

You'll have to remove your air filter box to replace thermostate, . Basically, you will see a metal coolant pipe running from the bottom of the radiator to a junction right next to your intake manifold and there will be two bolts holding it on, as well as a bolt holding the coolant pipe to the block. Also, when you replace the thermostat, you'll have to replace the gasket.

used cars

Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM
1st Gear
Default thermostat and resevoir tank leaking

I have a 2002 land rover freelander and the thermostat and resevoir tank is leaking, i also have a friend who has the same vehicle and has the same problem. does anyone know if there is a recall?

Quick Reply: 2002 Freelander thermostat help needed!