Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Bolt-on Performance parts?

Old 11-02-2005, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt-on Performance parts?

I'm in the process of buying an '02 Freelander SE (2.5 V6) and seeing what's available for added performance? Cold air intakes? Bolt-on Exhaust system? I'm going to get the Powerchip modification that brings the HP up to 189 and the torque to 196 lb.-ft.

Hopefully there are some bolt on parts out there because I'm trying to get the best performace that I can for the most reasonable price. Not too interested in custom parts, too much $$.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bolt-on Performance parts?

your freelander puts out an "advertized" 175 horsepower at 6250 rpm and 177 ft-lb of torque at 4000 rpm, What chip is gonna give you 14 more horses and 19 ft/lbs more torque. When you do other mods, like exhaust, intake, or even a power adder, then you need a chip so you can make the motor run better w/ the mods, thus all the horsepower you can squeeze out of it, a chip alone most likly will not deliver the performance you think your going to get. Now a diesel is another story. Spend your money on something else is my advice to you.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

if you wanna go fast, get a mustang gt or cobra or mach 1. they come from the factory fast

mustang= decent speed
mustang gt=fast
mustang mach 1= faster
mustang cobra = fastest (03-04)

Old 11-05-2005, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear

The way that it increases the performance is that it tailors the timing, spark, etc to a higher octane fuel. In my case I run 91 octane anyways, so I may as well squeak out as much performance as possible. Here's the link: Powerchip Freelander 2.5 V6

I also want it to breathe more efficiently, I am most likely going to put 3" pipes all the way from the exhaust manifold but am worried how much it's going to cost to get the pipes bent and installed as I have no proficiency doing the work on my own.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: NickV

The way that it increases the performance is that it tailors the timing, spark, etc to a higher octane fuel. In my case I run 91 octane anyways, so I may as well squeak out as much performance as possible. Here's the link: Powerchip Freelander 2.5 V6

I also want it to breathe more efficiently, I am most likely going to put 3" pipes all the way from the exhaust manifold but am worried how much it's going to cost to get the pipes bent and installed as I have no proficiency doing the work on my own.
Running higher octane don't give you more power. You want to run the lowest octane with no pings. Your freelander engine requires 91 octane anyway. right?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:06 PM
3rd Gear

I admittedly don't know a whole lot about engine performance/chips, etc... but what I AM looking for are some positive suggestions on how to best improve the performance of my freelander. Are you suggesting that Powerchip is full of s#*t? Did you even read the .pdf link?

Basically, I have a small boat and a flatbed trailer that I tow sometimes and would appreciate all the increased performance that I can get.

How much would it cost to get 3" pipes bent up and installed along with a high performance muffler to let it breathe?

By the lack of suggestions, should I assume that there are NO quick-install parts (cold air intake,etc..) for an '02 freelander?

Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

1. No I am not saying that the chip is junk, I am saying a chip does not just add power. Once you add mods, then you chip it. To let the computer know how to run now that you engine is doing something entirly differnt then what it was programed to do. If you add more air, free flowing exhaust, bigger TB, Differnt size injectors, you car will run not very good, so you re-program (chip) to make the computer work with these things, thus more power.

2. Exhaust, just go to a muffler shop and have them run you a better muffler, flowmaster, borla or something good, and a 3" from cat back. Muffler should run $75 - $100 bucks, work should cost $100 - $150, I am not in the muffler business so I really don't know prices for sure. Then get a cold air intake http://www.globalautoshop.com/access...over_index.htm you can run this setup (muffler & intake) without need of a chip. That should increse your power a bit.

3. There are not many bolt on things for a 02 freelander, but if you look you can find some things, the cold air I found doing a quick search. Stay away from gimmick, like the tornado or the AIT sensor resistor.

hope that helped you out a bit.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

2K5 freelander = minimum 87 octane, 2K5 LR3 = minimum 91 octane

Old 11-09-2005, 04:13 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: 05LandRover

2K5 freelander = minimum 87 octane, 2K5 LR3 = minimum 91 octane
oo thank gdness..scared me wen i saw 91 octane..! cuz i've been filling up on 87!

Old 12-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Drifting

remove the rear driveshaft and that baby will go like hell