Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Calipers gone bad.... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers gone bad.... HELP!

So I took my 02Freelander(approximately 69Kmiles) for new brakes and and new rotors yesterday.
Everything was great till earlier this afternoon. I was driving and all of a sudden when i broke(even at the slowest pace) there was a very sharp sound coming from my brakes- it sounded like metal on metal.

I took it back to the mechanic and theyre telling me that my calipers are done and that I need new ones.
They said that the bearing/piston(??) on the caliper works fine when i brake, its just not releasing when when i take my foot off.

This was not an issue prior to taking my car in- I guess i basically wanna know if this could have been caught before my car was given back to me?
Also, is it possible that the brakes they put on might not meet my car's specifications/requirements?

Please advise....
Thank you for your time!!
Jorge-

Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Calipers gone bad.... HELP!

You need to go back to that shop and lean on them a little. If this wasn't happening before the brake job, then they messed up something. If you paid by credit card, you may want to consider contacting your card company, let them know this is a saftey issue and have them hold up on the payment untill it is resolved.
If need be, take it to another shop for a second option.
Mike

Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Calipers gone bad.... HELP!

Thanks Mike.... I actually got two other opinons over the weekend.
Both instances my car was inspected and both stated that the calipers were fine.
As far as payment goes, well, i paid in cash.... my friends both said that if they do not wanna take responsibility for it then i should let them know that i am going to contact "BAR" and ask them how i should proceed with the matter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!!!