Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander Battery or Fuel Filter/Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008 | 03:14 PM
|
1st Gear
Default Freelander Battery or Fuel Filter/Pump?

'02 Freelander with 94,500 miles. I have been having startingproblems - diagnostics revealed that while running, the alternator is charging the battery. When we turned the vehicle off, the battery wasreading 13.2 volts with 430 CCA's. The battery is an Interstate MTP-91 (700 CCA's) and has been in the vehicle 50 months. The battery condition is obviously the reason for the starting problems.

Now thehard part....While driving home from the mechanic, the vehicle suddenly died. I was able to pull on to a side street and park. Could this be a battery problem as the battery has yet to be replaced (It's on order) or is it an issue with the fuel filter/pump as I've read that many freelanders get gooey filters around 100K miles? A mechanic friend said that with the condition of the battery, it was entirely possible that shut down this could also be an effect of the battery.

I've had one similarincident last winter when the vehicle simply turned off while driving 70mph on I-75. I opened the hood, waited about five minutes,said a prayerandshe started right up. No other "Shut Down" problems until today.

Old 12-02-2008 | 03:37 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Freelander Battery or Fuel Filter/Pump?

I've had this happen to me before. Once for the battery, it was a bad wire and the second time was the fuel pump! Let's hope its the battery as the fuel pump is a little pricey - just had mine all replaced, pump, filter plus towing and labor was $1100!

Good luck.