Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

freelander problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freelander problems

ok everyone here is my problems.

i have an 02 freelander se 2.5 v6 no warranty.
the check engine light is on and the main code that autozone was able to read was p0171
and the coolant was disappearing. i noticed the coolant was disappearing after overheating
on my way to a relatives house about 30 miles from mine. it did not run hot long. i let it cool
and added coolant to it and it was fine. About 2 weeks later while we were driving it again it
overheated again and did the same as previously stated. so i took it to a mechanic and he has
told me that the engine code was one of about 5 all of which pointed to a vacuum leak. and
the coolant was from a leaking water pump. so the mechanic did further searching on the codes
and has told me that it is a blown head gasket. and that i have a slight knock. now my problem is
that after the check engine light came on i changed the oil in it and the oil was NOT milky at all. I
also have never seen any indication of anything leaking form the car. I do know about the head gasket
issues with the freelander. Now what is the likely hood that the head gasket is indeed blown but the
coolant is not mixing with the oil. the mechanic is recommending replacing the whole motor.
now should i do this or could the head be fine and just needs a new gasket?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: freelander problems

every week i seem to read and hear about this problem
with the 2.5 kv6 motor (used first in the rover cars in england)
i see you say that there is no oil in the coolant but, is there a oily film in the coolant
overflow tank? replacing the headgaskets will not work with this motor due to
the cylinder liners moving when the engine overheats and dropping slightly.
the coolant leak is prob coming from the thermostat housing under the intake
manifolds and leaking out the drain hole next to the water pump.
sorry...

Old 02-01-2008, 03:36 PM
4th Gear

I agree fully. There is also another systematic coolant leak from the Heater Core. If you remove the skid plate (the cover under the engine) you can see if your Heater Core is leaking. It's a metallic shiny corrugated squarish metal can located directly in front of the engine. Orange stains and hardened orange droplets are shure signs of a leaky heater core. On my 2002 Freelander the Thermostat Module has been replaced 3x under warrany and now in it's 6th year, started leaking again 2 month's ago. Chaging the thermostat is not a simple job. Bad car, bad service and horrible quality.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Hi, im new on this forum, but have my freelander'00 1.8 for 6 months. Replaced: engine, water pump, timing belt, all pipes, thermostat.
i have the same problem with coolant dissapearing- pipes 100% brand new, not leaking at all, nothing under car in mornings, or so, NO coolant in oil, NO oil in coolant expansion tank, NO oily films in there aswell, coolant KEEPS dissapearing... toping up about 0.5- 1 litre a day depends on drive. Just passed National Car Test, CO emissions are perfect, car is perfect, just coolant pisses me off... Any sugestions?
Regards-Ray

Old 06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
4wd Low

changed the thermostat, water pump, temp sensor, expansion tank 5 times the car still overheats, they said i need to change the head gasket, i have no oil in the expansion tank

what is make the water go? what is the solution?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The coolant is being drawn into the combustion chamber where it ends up going out the exhaust. You may notice a white smoke when you start the engine. Replacing the head gaskets can be expensive, and not solve the problem if the engine has overheated to the extent the liners have pushed into the block. I have had success with head gasket repair epoxies that go into the coolant. Bars Leak makes sells one for $30 that is effective. It may not last forever but it will slow down the coolant loss.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
4wd Low

hi

thanks
what is Bars Leak?

how would you tell that the liners have been pushed into the block? i need to tell this to the one who will be working on the car to check

waiting for your response

Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM
4wd Low

how can i get this bars leak? what is there web site?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bar's Leaks is the manufacturer of a number liquid sealers. Some are good, some are bad. Go to your auto parts store and ask for a head gasket sealer. They will direct you to a number of products that can be added to the coolant. Some require you to drain the system and apply the product while the system is filled with water. Some can be used with antifreeze. If you google head gasket sealants you'll come up with a number of products - do some research and you'll find what works best. I had one KV6 go 10K after a treatment without using any coolant. Prior to putting it in, you could watch the level in the tank go down while the engine was running, with white smoke coming out the exhaust like a steam engine.

If you are having someone pull the heads off, make sure they know what they are getting into. Reinstallation of the timing belts requires special tools to hold the belt sprockets in alignment for proper cam timing. Google KV6 timing belt tools and you'll see them. Once the heads are off, the liners should project above the block about .002 inches (two thousands) for proper sealing. if they are flush with the block they have sunk and very difficult to repair. Also have the person check to see if the heads have indentations around the combustion chamber where the gaskets have sunk in. That's another sign of overheating.

I have repaired KV6 blocks with flush liners by decking the block with the by .002 inch with the liners removed, then reinstalling so they end up projecting as they should. I believe the aluminum alloy softens a bit when the block gets hot, so I don't think this is a long term fix although the engine now has 20k miles on the repair without problems. Best of luck, it's a good engine when it's healthy.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:08 AM
4wd Low

i have a problem when i start the v6 freelander it will not go in reverse when i waiting for the engine to heat up for about 30 min it starts , as long as it is heat it will go in reverse the problem is only when you pack for a long time and it does cold then it will not go in reverse what could the problem be? what part is affected and what is the part number?

Quick Reply: freelander problems