Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

fuse relay testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse relay testing

My fuel pump does not work when ignition is turned on, I suspect a defective relay in the fuse box. What is the best way to test the relay using a volt meter? And what kind of readings should I see on the volt meter display?

I drove from work to home, about a mile, put the vehicle in park and it just faded out and quite running. And would not restart. This is a 2003 Landrover Freelander (V6) purchased Used.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you,
nanook4

Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuse relay testing

First check your fuses. If that makes no difference, then swap relays with another one in the fuse box that you know works and that is the same type. If there is still no change, then suspect a bad fuel pump. Fuel pumps tend to go out fairly often on these vehicles. If you fold the right side rear passenger seat forward and pull the carpet back, you will find a fuel pump access cover held down by screws. Remove the screws and access cover. Using an assistant and a voltmeter, connect your negative(black) lead to a ground point(such as the door striker) and the positive(red) lead to the white/purple stripe wire(back probe it) and have the assistant turn the ignition on(do not crank at this point). You should see a reading of battery voltage, about 12 volts but depends on the battery condition, for about 8-10 seconds and then drop to zero volts. If you don't see this reading, then suspect something upstream. If you do see this reading, then check the same way but cranking this time, when cranking voltage should stay and not drop off.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuse relay testing

Your assistance was helpful. The vehicle is now running after the fuel filter was changed.
Thank you!
nanook4