Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

hill descent light with exclamation, flashing F 4, and getting high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hill descent light with exclamation, flashing F 4, and getting high rpm

hello... i got a 2003 freelander... the hill descent with exclamation is turning on... and cannot be turn off.... and it affects the power of the car.... i get high rpm before it moves.... and having hard time going up hill.... but when that light is not light up the suv is great.. please help.... i just got this.... we trade our excellent 2003 taurus for this one..... and all we got is problems.... i feel responssible for this.. pls help....

Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: hill descent light with exclamation, flashing F 4, and getting high rpm

Hi all

My neighbour's 2000 Freelander 1.8 K Series is doing exactly the same thing. It's not generating any fault codes either. Is it possible to remove a relay to disable the HDC?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2019, 06:07 AM
2nd Gear

Did anyone diagnose this? I have a 03 Freelander with the exact same condition. HDC and Service Engine light. No other lights. Brake lights work. Very little power, especially going up hill. Shifts hard. I know one of the rear diff bushings need to be replaced. Could that do it?

Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

get someone or a shop with a competent tech to read the vehicle's computer......the f4 on the dash is telling you there is a transmission fault and there will be a code stored in the vehicles computer. the lack of power is likely that the transmission has shifted to "limp mode", (or as was in my case stuck in 4th gear).......this transmission is electronicly conroled with 9 ( yes, 9!) solenoids, and its likely that one or more of them has failed, ..........this IS repairable...dont let them tell you otherwise...lol....however due to the medium difficulty and time ..etc, etc...it would be best to replace ALL the soloenoids if you need to do any of them.....me and a tech friend of mine did ours in a few hours ..in the driveway.....if this is the case , you can get the solenoids and gasket on line ( i used ebay) for around $200, you will also need 4.25 quarts of the correct trans fluid...<<<<(dont skimp on this)....there are also some circular connectors near the radiator that connect the trans solenoids to the computer....I have read that those connectors can sometimes corrode and cause these issues

Old 11-27-2019, 06:05 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for your response. I have checked the circular connectors I知 the front but I confess I知 not sure what I知 looking at. I have the correct meter and I follow the correct sequence. The ohms jump all around when checking each solenoid there. I checked it through the computer in the L-shaped box and had the same result. I am familiar with electrical problems in British cars ( I have an MGB) and I grew up covered in grease in my fathers shop. However, I don稚 have the computer to read the codes and I知 much better with mechanical rather than electrical. I値l run it to a friends shop and ask for help.