Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

New Owner - Rookie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Rookie Questions

Hello all, let me thank anyone in advance who can help me out.

First, my story. Monday, here in Washington State, we had a huge snowstorm. 60 inches the last month. It is a getting a bit tiresome to drive around in my Honda and Saturn Sedans. I have connections with the local Honda Dealer and am able to get a discount on vehicles. So in an act of frustration (and my Saturn has 190k on it) I wanted to purchase a compact SUV. My first choice was a Honda CRV 2003 but that was apparently sold. My connection at the dealership, then said "we have a Freelander its a Land Rover." Now I really know nothing about cars. I just want transportation. So in my mind, I was thinking it was a Toyota Land Cruiser. I was like, "hey, great, Toyotas are reliable"; it hit me around 30 minutes later that this was a Land ROVER , not a Land CRUISER. Which I know nothing about. So, I was like, "whatever, all wheel drive. Compact, looks nice. 80k miles. 110k less than what I am driving now. 7 years newer. Lets go for it!" The only "research" I did on it was looking at MSN cars and according to that site, it reported "minimal problems" all around. I was sold. So bought it for $8,000.

So now I have this car, that i admit looks really cool and drives like a tank on the snow we are having here. But then ... I started to "google" it. Other then the one site I checked before hand, there is soooo much hate for Land Rover and some of it directed towards the Freelander. Unreliable this, unreliable that. Expensive to fix, etc. Now I know for a fact it will be expensive to fix. But I am more worried about the unreliability factor. I understand this is a used car but I have already spotted two back speakers not working, back wind shield wiper not working, not aligned, loud noise and "shakes" coming above the front right wheel when I hit bumps, The fan for heating-A/C basically does not blow hard at all (except for the vents by the feet). This is all minor stuff I can live with. But I am more worried about the engine, transmission, etc. I dont know the history on the timing belt, so I am thinking about looking into this...

- I come here knowing you guys actually know the truth on the vehicles because you DRIVE them. I really need some encouragement (but only if its the truth!)....

- Can you do your own oil changes? or is it recommended to bring them in? And if bringing them in, there is a rumor that many places wont touch this vehicle?

I a leaving my options open and I am willing to return this vehicle if I have to or try to sell if I have to and get that reliable but not as powerful Japanese car like the Rav4 or Honda CRV.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: New Owner - Rookie Questions

Hey

Welcome to the forum. The Freelander has a few problems that almost always occur: fuel pump failure, water pump failure, and timing belt failure. My fuel pump failed at 70,000 miles. Next week, I am having the timing belts changed, the water pump changed and the thermostat changed...all of which cost a lot. My advice is if you can return the car...return the car. If not...it isn't the end of the world.

Find a good import repair shop so you can avoid going to the dealer. My dealer wants over $2300 in labor to change the timing belts, water pump and thermostat housing. A good import repair shop in town will do it for $1000.00. Shop before you buy parts. I found several online parts dealers that sell Land Rover brand parts for less then my local dealer...a lot less.

You have to change the timing belts every 70,000.00 miles or you risk destroying the engine. Also, if you are losing coolant...that is a bad sign, too.

If you set aside all the expense associated with driving a Freelander, it is a great car for winter driving. On snow and ice it is sure-footed.

Good luck with your car

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Drifting
Default RE: New Owner - Rookie Questions

Thanks for the reply. At this time, it seems it will be hard to return. For what it's worth I am close friends with the Honda Dealerships Service Manager. He assured me they can work on the car and they have good Rover mechanics (he actually sold Rovers a few years back). So if there is maint, I can get a great deal and honesty. That may make the pain go away?

It has 80k miles. So it sounds like I REALLY need to check on the timing belt.

Also, any input on oil changes, transmissions issues or chronic brake replacements???
Also, if the Fuel pump is replaced? does that mostly solve the problem? or will it fail multiple times even after installing a new one (theoretically)?
What are signs you are losing the coolant? MY Saturn did because of a Head Gasket Leak and the light came on every 3-5 months.

I do love how the car feels. Some say it is small but I think it is perfect size.