Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

NO MORE FREELANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:17 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO MORE FREELANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're cuttin the freelander look:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ds/4572249.stm

Old 05-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Winching
Default RE: NO MORE FREELANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, so long... Look for a new Freelander late 05' with Jag / Ford components.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yeah, this is nothing new, freelanders already have jag motors, drivetrains, etc. pretty sure they have for a few years, since like, 2000. i don't know how much ford stuff they have except when a freelander is parked next to an escape? mazda tribute? mercury mariner? very similar.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

so, since freelanders are still in production, how does that make sense to have a thread called "no more freelander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ?

by the way, even the new lr3 and upcoming range rovers have jaguar engines and drivetrains, i don't know about for stuff. new explorers are coming from the factory with land rover texhnology like the Dynamic Stability Control

next year the range rover sport will have a 4.4L 32V DOHC S/C with 390hp and 390 torque. guess where that motor came from? jaguar's XKR, S type R, and XJR. except those are 4.2 liters, that is the only difference

Old 06-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had read something like that as well. From the POV of LR North AM the FL wasn't selling as hot as they had hoped. I think they got it togeather and realized that they went from such huge quaility and price jump between the LR3 and FL that they now realize they need a Disco 2 type vehicle that's going to fill the gap for consumers. I"m still going to be looking at an 03 Disco next year or maybe even an 04 if I can afford it and find one that's for sale.

ps. It's good to be back in the forums.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Freelander is stopped been sent to the USA as only the diesel engine version is current now, as the supply of petrol (gas) engines has dried up since the MG Rover group went into receivership.
The new freelander is larger than the current model and a new model below the freelander is also due out soon, based on the ford focus platform. (May even be available as a 2wd only version)
As the diesel versions just do not sell in the numbers required to make it worth while in the USA, your not going to get anymore for now..

Old 06-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that's the case they should have never got rid of the Discovery II and just introduced the DiscoIII/LR3 as well as the modle below the free lander.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:08 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: traffictech870

If that's the case they should have never got rid of the Discovery II and just introduced the DiscoIII/LR3 as well as the modle below the free lander.
I don't think they knew that MG Rover would go into receivership, and hence cause a problem with engine supply for the freelander.

They could not keep production of the Disco 2, as the LR3 is built on the same production line..

Solihull is not a big site, and they are now at their limits, hence the new freelander is been built at the Jaguar factory and the new smaller model is most likely going to be built at the same place..

The new freelander model may appear quicker than they originally planned though, but not by much as the new freelander is due out this year anyway..

Old 06-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Drifting

I'm glad I got my 04 Disco. Seems like it's one of the last pure (i.e. non-Ford) Rover vehicles. Glad to hear the LR3 hasn't really suffered, however so maybe there's still hope...

The Rickster

Old 06-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: GadgetRick

I'm glad I got my 04 Disco. Seems like it's one of the last pure (i.e. non-Ford) Rover vehicles. Glad to hear the LR3 hasn't really suffered, however so maybe there's still hope...

The Rickster
The sad fact is in todays world, no manufacturer actually builds a vehicle completely from their own parts, but actually raid each others part bins. (i.e. they all deal with the same componet suppliers these days) Or do deals to swap items. like Ford is buying Diesel engines from the PSA group, for it's cars. They even have started sharing factories, Toyota's new mini city car, is built in the same factory as the new mini city cars from Peugeot and Citroen, in fact all three cars are the same but with different noses. Each have put different bits into the car to create the whole and saved a lot of money by doing so.

Having said that, that is what Land Rover have always done, they have always raided the parts bin of other companies within the same group, the first Land Rover was built with a Rover Engine and gearbox, your disco 4 has door handles from other Rover cars, same with the sun roof (if you have one) switches, steering wheel etc etc... The LR3 is also not the first landie to have a jag engine fitted, back in the 70's they were building some landies with jag engines for the army contracts. The V8 is of course a buick..

Quick Reply: NO MORE FREELANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!