Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

non starting freelander

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non starting freelander

Help....04 Freelander just started having major issues (if you don't count the window regs, intake, loss of coolant, etc.)

Last week found bad coil pac....replaced.
This week car still missing slightly....then cranked over for 10 minutes before it started. Gauge lights flashing....still running OK....then couple of days ago...no start....came home after work, car started right up...ran it around the block...no issues....parked it, turned it off, and it has not started since then. Gauges going crazy....key fobs now do not work....
swapped battery with new one...no start.

Fuel pump was done two years ago on recall....

I just need to get this thing running and sell....way to many issues for me....

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear
Default and the answer is...............

bad ignition switch....yep, the one the key goes in....

found by Landrover dealer....120 part....586 total with checkout....

Car is now running fine and is being traded in....

Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Rock Crawling

that sucks....

Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a freelander for you.

Every single one of those is going to a junkyard and even LR was happy when the last one went completely out of warrantee.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Rock Crawling

yeah, it didn't help that tata took over

Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tata had nothing to do with that, neither did ford or BMW, That vehicle was built under the last of British Leyland licenses. So all the crappy stuff that came from BL was installed into the freelander. It was bad parts from the word go. They only redesigned two things on the entire vehicle due to defective parts. The rest was recycled over and over. So bad parts were installed in new vehicles and it wasn't a matter of if a part broke down but when.

The dealers were happy to rid themselves of the freelander in the US.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Mudding

Very few people have the luxury of trading in a running freelander, consider yourslf very lucky.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Tata had nothing to do with that, neither did ford or BMW, That vehicle was built under the last of British Leyland licenses. So all the crappy stuff that came from BL was installed into the freelander. It was bad parts from the word go. They only redesigned two things on the entire vehicle due to defective parts. The rest was recycled over and over. So bad parts were installed in new vehicles and it wasn't a matter of if a part broke down but when.

The dealers were happy to rid themselves of the freelander in the US.

I know, I meant after Land Rover released the 2wd freelander it was all down hill from there...

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

I saw this thread, and I thought I might have my answer, but I guess not.

I have a 2003 Freelander HSE with 48000 miles. I've had it for 8 years with no problems, so I guess I'm lucky.

Last fall, it started having a quirky problem. Sometimes it won't start. It usually lasts about 20 minutes. If it doesn't start, I do something else, go back in a bit, and it is fine.

It may do it three times in one day. It may not do it for a month.

It isn't too big a deal for me. My office is about 1/4 mile from my house, but sometimes it is inconvenient.

Any thoughts on this one? My local, non-Land Rover mechanics have guessed 1. fuel pump (which I actually had changed) 2. fuel filter 3. some security system snafu.

It cranks fine and sounds perfect - other than the whole non starting thing.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
3rd Gear
Default yep....that's what mine did

yep....it would not start for many attempts....wait a couple of hours or in some cases a couple of days....then start just fine....

Heck, I drove it 21 miles to the landrover dealer to have it repaired and it drove fine and when I arrivied and tried to start it again..nothing...

not sure if when it does not start if you wiggle the key around it might have started....it drove me nuts for many days.

Sold it to CarMax for 6000....better then what every dealer was going to give me....

It is a shame....great looking car...right size....great interior....and bad mechanics.....

Heck...the landrover dealer did not want to make any kind of deal on a new lr2 even after I had the switch fixed....think they would only give me 2800 for the freelander....maybe thats why they call it a "free" lander....

We now own a nissan truck 04....mazda CX-7 09.....and numerous VWs....all that work well 58,72,00.....

Sorry Landrover....but you will not be missed....

Quick Reply: non starting freelander