Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Numerous 2002 Freelander SE Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numerous 2002 Freelander SE Problems

My list of problems with my 2002 Freelander SE goes on and on (see below). I feel fortunate that most of it was covered under the original factory warranty, and a $4000 extended warranty. However, many of the problems continue, the LR dealer has missed some things, the LR North America customer service has been a huge pain to deal with, and the car is basically worthless now. I definitely would never recommend a Land Rover, between all my problems, and the problems of friends with Freelanders and Range Rovers, and even the newer LR2 and LR3.

The Freelander was sold in North America for about 5 years I think, before it was redesigned and renamed (I'm guessing because of all the problems.) Does anyone know if European Freelanders have so many problems? Are there any Freelanders that DON'T have the typical problems? (coolant leaks, bad transmissions, constant brake service, bad sunroofs, etc.) It just doesn't seem right that a car with all its scheduled maintenance, and treated very well, should exhibit so many problems, and essentially be worthless after just 8 years.

Here is a partial list of my problems, and the regular services:

• Fuel Guage Reads backwards - Replaced Fuel Pump
  • 24k Service
  • Engine Light On - Replaced Faulty Throttle Body Tubing and Valve Cover Pipes
  • Sunroof Shade Rattling
  • Replaced Warped Brake Rotors and Pads
  • 36k Service
  • Coolant Leak / Overheating - Replaced Coolant Res Tank
  • Hill Decent Makes Crunching, Rubbing, and Squealing noises
  • 48k Service
  • Replaced Faulty Sunroof
  • Coolant Leak / Overheating - Replaced Faulty Fan Control Module
  • Replaced Faulty L/F Door Latch Motor Assembly
  • Replaced Faulty R/R Window Regulator
  • Replaced Faulty Window Regulator
  • 60k Service
  • Replaced Faulty Heater Core
  • Sunroof Grinding Noise
  • Replaced Faulty Blower Motor and Resistor
  • Replaced Broken Breather Hose
  • 72k Service
  • Replaced Faulty Passenger Door Lock Actuator
  • Coolant Leak / Overheating
  • Coolant Leak / Overheating
  • 84k Service
  • Replaced Faulty Rear Seat Hinge
  • Replaced Faulty Wiper Switch
  • Replaced Front Brake Pads
  • Engine Light On / Replaced Faulty Upper Intake Manifold
  • Engine Light On / Replaced Faulty Mass Airflow Sensor
  • Coolant Leak / Overheating - Injected a tracing dye into coolant with no results
  • 96k Service
  • Misdiagnosed Rear Tailgate - Charging for Replacement regulator, but motor just needed remounting
  • Replaced Fuel Pump
  • Transmission suddenly gave out on the freeway with loss of power!

Now that the transmission is shot, it's no longer drivable. I've spent exactly 6 months (and about 110 phone calls, and about 40 unreturned messages) with LRNA customer service, trying to get them to do something about all the problems, only to have them tell me they "didn't see anything wrong during the diagnosis, and would not do anything about the vehicle." Keep in mind I have been trying to at least find out what they would do about the ongoing coolant leaks for 5 months before the transmission gave out. Now the transmission is either $6369, or $4285 if it's the IRD. But with the mysterious coolant leak, it hardly seems worth it, knowing the engine will be next, and all the other items mentioned above (some of which have already failed again.) I will admit I haven't had it as bad as some people, but I basically had to go out and buy a new car 2 years ago, when I no longer considered the Freelander to be reliable in any way, and in fact, borderline dangerous. I was surprised when some friends with a 2005 with 45,000 miles, just scrapped it during the cash for clunkers program, but now I wish I had done the same! Land Rover makes some of the worst cars, with the most problems, costing the most to service, and having the worst customer service! I would NEVER buy one again, and would never recommend one to anyone!