Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

stranded once too often

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stranded once too often

Our well-maintained 2002Freelander with 50K miles (just out of warranty) blew anengine on the highway - nowarning lights, just a disaster.The Land Rover dealer conceded these weren't especially reliable cars. Paid part of very large repair bill for new engine.

Same highway a few months later, I noticed that the heater wasn't working so pulled over (having already experienced Freelander reliability). No warning lights.All the coolant was gone - gasket problem. Stranded for 3 hours the day before Christmas.

Dealer acknowledged some problems existed. We were getting nervous. Car gone for a week when we really needed it.

First day back on highway with kids in car, on the entrance ramp actually - never reached 40 mph, the transmission stopped working - nothing over 2nd gear. Limped to nearest gas station, then towed to dealer. Repair took weeks.

This time the dealer agreed it was "not totally reliable" and we read everything we could about these pieces of junk disguised as cars. Worst car I've ever had. No warning lights - well documented problem - lots of blown engines, transmissions, and other problems.

After hiring a professional to get helpwith this, the dealer bought back the car. Dealer was great, butabsolutely NO help from Landrover at all.They were useless. Kudos to dealer, who wasn't crazy about having this model in his lineup.

I was without the car from Christmas Eve until late February - 2 months before this was resolved - with no loaner. Out over $4,000 in repairs (shared costs), and Christmas holiday was fairly wrecked. Thanks Land Rover. Your reputation for reliability is a joke.

We treat our cars well - one has 210K miles on it. I really wanted to keep this car for a long time - at least not have it burn out at 50K miles. Now I worry every time I see one on the road - will they lose power on the road and lose more than just their car and money?

If you own this car it is extremely important that you constantly watch all the gauges, and assume that something will give out with no warning at all - even with the best of maintenance. One of the most dangerous pieces of equipment I've ever used, bar none. The idea that people are out there on the highway with kids in the car is very scary.

LandRover - do the right thing - recall these cars and give people their money back.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stranded once too often

Indeed, it's a very unreliable car. Mine is close to 50k and the engine keeps getting noisier, acceleration is poor,and it just doesn't feel right. It's going to blow up any day now. I'm buying an American car, I had a Chrysler before this and never had any problems.