Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

TD4 - 2001 - Rear Window Needs Calibrating Every 3 days !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TD4 - 2001 - Rear Window Needs Calibrating Every 3 days !!

Hello all

Yes before you all say it, I know.....the rear window problem again....not another one !!

I know it's been covered on every forum site and is every owners nightmare.....but have a read of the symptoms of this unsolved prob, if you've got time.

As the title suggests....the TD4 I own - 2001 - Rear Window Needs Calibrating Every 3 days

Everything worked (rear window) ok until early this year (Jan 2012) when I had to replace the main battery.

On fitment, I followed the rear window calibration procedure in the haynes manual and from other forum sources.

Operating the back door handle, the window drops to clear the recess, allowing the door to be opened correctly.

On closing the rear door the window rises to form a seal correctly!

The rear window worked from the dash switch....up and down....however 3 days later it stopped working!

Operating the back door handle, the window drops to clear the recess, allowing the door to be opened correctly.

On closing the rear door the window rises to form a seal correctly!

I disconnected the battery and recalibrated........the problem appeared again within 3 to 4 days!

Same pattern, over and over……

The dash switch is inoperable after 3 - 4 days, unless the battery / rear window is re-calibrated !

I’ve been told the new battery is the correct one.
I've tried a different dash switch.
I've made sure the hard top microswitch is pushed in all the way, with the roof on in place.
I've tried another hard top microswitch.
I've tried x 2 different relays in the rear drivers side quarter behind the moulding above the suspension leg.
I've thought of the CCU....but was told that is programmed correctly.
I've thought of the Window ECU (drivers footwell) but was told that ECU only has '1 channel' - so all windows are operated via this ecu....if one fails they all would?
I've been told the 'rear window regulator' works as the glass is clearing and sealing the recess when the rear door is opened from the outside by hand.
I've been told that 'BOTH x 2) relays in the rear drivers quarter are working.

What else could it possibly be ????

Talk about driving me bonkers

Anyone any ideas.......?

Thanks for reading

Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry but you have to access the body control module to see what its doing.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Overlanding
Thumbs up

Re:Rovin4life

I presume you mean have an auto technician connect the diagnostic computer up tho the OBD II port and interrogate the ECU module ?

Too expensive !

The problem is more than likely 'one or both' relays at fault!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

absolutely not. you don't know this system whatsoever. You don't know what is causing the thing to loose its calibration. the calibration is stored within the module. but there are many a signals it recieves from various parts including wiper motor, the wiper motor switch the rear door switch, the park switch. everything under the sun. you need to see what it is seeing and what it isn't seeing.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Overlanding
Thumbs up ****Problem Solved at last!!****

I took into account everything I'd done, which I'd shared in the opening thread.

The only thing I over looked was the 'rear wiper / arm / motor position' - so that was the 1st major check....

The rear wiper fuse was missing from the fusebox, so I replaced it and ran the wiper motor a for 5 minutes or so.

I could hear the rear wiper relay in the fusebox clicking so I knew that was ok.

Having turned the rear wiper system off....

The rear window now opens from the dash switch...Doh !

Problem solved !!

Thanks for all the interesting replies.