Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

TD4 IRD Smash, savage FW drive train leaks and mystery washer!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TD4 IRD Smash, savage FW drive train leaks and mystery washer!

Hello all - just bought a 2002 Freelander TD4 (BMW 2.0 diesel). So many problems that I will be tackling but was wondering if someone could help with some advice?

I have removed the plastic sump cover to check the vehicle and have found that the gearbox casing has taken a whack at some point - either a stone has kicked up and the sump cover has been replaced, or something has gone bang and caused some damage.

Firstly, I'd love to know what these pipes are (viewed from the underside of the vehicle, around the drive drain/gearbox - towards the passenger side)? They have taken quite a pasting!

The knock has also caused the following damage - anyone have any thoughts on these breaks in the housing?

Also, when taking the sump cover off, the following rubber grommet fell out! Does anyone know what this is and where it has fallen off?

The front drive train oil seals have given way and it's pissing oil out of the front drive train. I'm going to tackle both seals and then clean up and see if all my leaks have stopped.

Passenger side

Driver Side

Full disclosure - I have no idea what I'm doing but can turn my hand to most things. However, most nomenclature will be lost on me so please go easy! All recommendations welcome - never worked on a Freelander before.

I managed to source the RAVE manual, but had to install a virtual machine to install XP to get Adobe 4.0 to read the RAVE.exe application - I will drop a walkthrough into the forum if anyone is interested?

Thanks guys and gals! Looking forward to getting started! All recommendations welcome!

Rusty

Old 10-10-2022, 12:44 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From some further research, I think that the knocked ally pipes are fitted to the Intermediate Reduction Drive. Would the reduced flow cause problems down the line (not even sure what's flowing through them, but I'd say they're at 20% of their original capacity)!

I should also mention that the rear prop shaft has been removed by the previous owner (I'm assuming to increase the MPG)?

Looking forward to any advice - thanks!

Rusty