Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Transponder Keys/Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transponder Keys/Fobs

It's gonna take a real expert to answer this one and the local dealer is closed today so I'll ask here. Now, in relation to my previous post 'starting' I mentioned that I have cropped a Freelander key to fit an LR3 switchblade style fob. HOW is this working? I own a 2002 North American model FL and have noticed a few articles that said the immobilizer technology was beefed up somehow for the '03s, not sure if this applies to NAS models. But if there was allegedly a chip embedded in the plastic head of the key that I used for the switchblade conversion, then why does it still work in my vehicle? I took her out on a 4 hour drive yesterday with no problem starting, or keeping the vehicle running (some immobilizers only engage after 10 minutes running). Is it possible that I bought a one in a billion fob that matches my Freelanders coding?? This doesn't make sense I know, but it's working somehow.

Also, if anyone knows if the LR3 fob could be programmed to operate the keyless entry of my FL I'd love to hear about it. It's a 315 MHz fob, not sure what frequency range the FL fob runs on, but I never got a fob with mine and freezing locks in the winter is becoming a problem. If it could be reprogrammed at the dealer I'd be more than happy to take my mysterious key to them for coding and speculation as to why it works.

Thanks to anyone with any insight on this matter, Cheers all

Old 09-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Transponder Keys/Fobs

there is a chip inside the key head, its excitd by the immobilizer ring that surrounds the ign cyl, what all did you do with the lr3 key now??? if you can post a pic, id like to see... as to the remote, freelander is also 315, however i doubt that itll work, as the algorithems for the rolling code are almost definitly different, never tried though, so small chance i guess

Old 09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ignition Switch Transponder Coil and Key Transponder
The transponder coil is supplied with a modulated electric current from the immobilisation ECU. When the key transponder is within 2 cm (0.78 in) from the coil, with the ignition switch in the position I (AUX), an energy transfer from the coil to the transponder takes place, similar to the transformer principle, at a frequency of 125 kHz. The ECU de-modulates and decodes the received data and compares this with identification code data from the ECM. If the data is correct the ECU allows starter operation.

When the key is inserted in the ignition switch, communications between the transponder and the immobilisation ECU, via the transponder coil, occur as follows:

A unique key identification number is passed to the ECU
A random code is transmitted by the ECU to communicate with the key transponder
An encrypted response to the random code is transmitted from the key transponder to the ECU.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Drifting

I've posted a photo of the original and modified keys side by side at the following address > http://profide.deviantart.com/art/Im...e-Key-98599351

As you can see the key blades are identical except that the one fitted in the LR3 fob has been trimmed down for proper fitting. Oddly this key functions just as well as the original.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Land Rover transponder keys can be reprogrammed "on-board" like some other brands. I do recall having switched from starting with the factory key to the "LR3 key" in rapid succession. I'm told with some brands, if the new key is inserted within 15 seconds of an original,the new key is reprogrammed. In my previous reply I have added a link to view a photo of the two keys side by side if you'd like to check it out.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Drifting

Well, mystery solved. Something is wrong with my transponder system all together. I stuck a fresh cut key sans chip in and it still started the vehicle so the LR3 key is just acting as any normal key would. NOW, how is THIS possible? Who knows, but I really don't care anymore lol, so long as I can get in it and drive I'm happy.