Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Why buy a Freelander?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy a Freelander?

Hello,
Assuming that almost of you has one this, and I want change my car, what suggestions you gave me to buy a Freelander?
Actually I was a Nissan Terrano II, for 10 years past.
90% of my driving is in city, but de other 10% I will enjoy to go off road.
I’m interest in consume (in city traffic), and most common malfunctions.
What I have searching to buy de best one?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

diesel freelander after 04.

everything else is really junk instead of possible junk.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try another site. This site is bias. I actually like my 04 only problem so far was the heater core and front breaks

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 has 330k and still runs drives great brakes need done every 40k km I replaced engine at 200,ooo km then the tranny at 300k then the rear end at 325k heater core was in there some time and 2 batteries vacume leaks are hard to find as they throw a lot of codes but I just clear the codes and keep driving

Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Three Wheeling

You are deff. 2 lucky freelander owners! Specially if they are petrol engines! If your gonna spend the money look for a disco. Series II if possible. Specially if your gonna use it for off roading. Just stock you have more clearance with either disco. Sorry freelander people just seen way to many get put to rest and the one's that stayed alive the people spent more to fix em than they were worth.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
7th Gear

OK, I'll bite... if the Freelander is good money after bad, what would you recommend for a compact SUV that is both very off-road capable, but has good manners on the street?

I'm not trying to antagonize, I'm sincerely asking for selfish reasons. I have a series 1 CRV that I've lifted and added a safari basket to. It has been very reliable, and makes a good enough daily driver, but it is anemic when fully loaded or towing, and the hydro-diff in the rear end isn't really up to anything but the most pedestrian forms of off-roading (and just barely at that). Not only do I commute in it daily, I also make lots of very long distance (cross-country) drives to field trials and hunts in it, so the mileage is accumulating fast, so at some point I will be in the market for a replacement to the CRV... so if not a Freelander, what compact SUV would you recommend instead then?

Last edited by WAARHEID; 03-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Freebie is the wife car which average about 7k miles a year if that. The. Only off roading it see is snow roads and dodging karts at the mall. It works for us I guess. They are so cheap now that you can pick them up for nothing

Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Overlanding

My wife has a 2001 Freelander TD4 automatic (BMW motor) and loves it. I put some decent ATR tyres on it (Cooper ATR) and it really is a nice car to drive on-road and on light 4wd tracks.

Sure, it won't go the places that my Rangie goes to, but it is very comfortable and stable on dirt roads with very good fuel economy and leaves the other "sort of" 4wds for dead. As a town car, great driving position for a small 4wd/SUV and reasonable storage space. In our case, shopping and the Boxer dog.

If small size, fuel economy and light off-roading is your priority, go for the Freebie... otherwise get a proper 4wd (with low range) that will go almost anywhere in (so much) better style and comfort for a similar buy price to the Freebie these days... 1995-2002 P38A Range Rover... best 4x4 by far

Go on you Disco owners.. flame away...

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by PaulP38A; 03-05-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WAARHEID
OK, I'll bite... if the Freelander is good money after bad, what would you recommend for a compact SUV that is both very off-road capable, but has good manners on the street?
Get an LR2. I thought about a Freelander as I saw quite a few cheap ones around with bad engines. I asked the dealer about it and he told me they are junk. A new engine would cost $6,000 and it will have the same problems.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 AM
4wd Low

Just had to jump in here.....

Here goes..............

I have a late 90, a 2001 TD5 Disco & 2004 TD4 Freelander, I have been around Landrovers most of my life.

The 90 will go anywhere, its not fast and there is no comfort but it will take you anywhere you point it.

The Disco on the other hand, has loads of comfort, its an auto box and is a dream to drive on the road. Off road its OK but in the wet or in mud its 100% useless, main reason is that Landrover stopped fitting a centre diff lock to my model as they thought traction control would do the job without a CDL. I'm just about to get a CDL fitted and TT's on both front & back diffs.

The Freelander, is very good on and off road and several times I have had to use the Freelander to drive up mountains where the Disco could not make it. Comfort in the Freelander is very good so are the MPG, only problem I have with the Freelander is its a bit low for some of the ground we cover and the lack of a low box makes it a bit harder to drive on very steep hills a bumps as sometimes you have to slip the clutch.

If 90% of your driving is on road and only 10% off road I would say get a TD4 Freelander and you will never look back (apart from looking at all the Micky Mouse 4x4 SUV's stuck in the mud behind you).