General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 RR - engine noise at start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 RR - engine noise at start up

Would appreciate if Disco Mike or another super member with actual work experience would respond.

Since my last oil change, Im getting a few seconds of engine chatter on start up. Its the typical noise you get immediately after an oil change but this has been persistent since.

Its only when the engine is cold. If I restart the engine within an hour or two (ie still warm) - no noise.

I added a can of BG-MOA to the oil - no change.

Thoughts - ideas - suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: '03 RR - engine noise at start up

You are loosing the prime. The filter may be the issue. Some filter companies may make a filter that fits but the interior is not correct. I would go and get a different filter and change it out. It may be that simple. Continuing to start that engine with your condition will result in damage to you crank bearings. Hope this helps. Rotorhead

Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

who did the last oil change... was the filter destroyed when it came out... usually when this is happening its a noise from the vanos units, they lose their prime and sink down, there is a check valve in the head, located behind the vanos solenoid, easy to replace, it can go bad, and it can also get stuck with small pieces of the filter when it 'shatters'. anyway, you need new check valves

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Three Wheeling

I did the last oil change. The filter was fine - no visible damage that I could see...it was just time to do one. I replaced it with a purolator which was supposed to be a replacement - came with the gasket, brass drain plug ring too.

I replaced it again, this time with the filter that the 03 and 04 BMW takes. Its supposed to be the same as what mine takes. The racket at start up is diminished but not gone. One or two raps then quiets out.

There's three lines going to the filter, two onthe bottom sheathed in braided steel casing - one on the side which is rubber at the filter, steel at the engine block.

Which one of these is the valve that needs to be replaced under?

Any other special tools I need?

Thanks
Bob

Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

none. its behind the intake cam adjuster, 'vanos', solenoid. remove the fan and fan shroud. directly under each cam cover, theres a solenoid sticking out towards the radiator. these need to be removed and then a 8mm threaded bolt will thread into the check valve and itll pull out, replace the same way