General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 range rover se

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 range rover se

I just inherited my Grandparents Range Rover its kind of beat up and has been sitting for a while, though runs fine the check engine light is on and when you start it a buzzing sound starts which i believe to be the airbag system just wondering where i can start the buzzing will stop after i come to a stop with the brakes and release the brakes very strange also the computer is saying my windows aren't set everytime i turn on or off the care though t they seem to be set fine. Thx for any info or help i live in portland, oregon if anyone one knows of a good range rover mechanic i could take it too though i would love to work on the care myself.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To set the windows, just roll them all the way down and then back up leaving the button pushed down until the screen says "window set" Sometimes it takes a few tries. If it is buzzing a lot, you probably need a new ABS accumulator. Easy to change. Just use the search feature on this site and also check out Rangerovers.net. There is a lot to read about with an old RR. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Wilson. Plus there should be some beeps as well saying that your seat belt is not fastened if it is not and the windows will keep beeping when you turn it off. If you can get an owners manual you will learn a lot of the stuff that will pop up while you have it.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes mine beeps to warn me of icebergs . The noise you hear as wilson stated, is the abs pump. The buzzing is the sound of air passing through the pump. I would start with the accumulator, as it probably needs to be replaced anyways. Then have the system bled thoroughly to eliminate the air. If the buzzing is still present, your reservoir might be clogged as well. For the check engine light, have the codes read and let us know what they are. Any Napa or Autozone will read the codes for free.