General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009 | 01:21 PM
|
Overlanding
Default 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE HELP!!

Okay, so I found this 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE 77k miles. The original price on it was $8000. I went up to take a look at it today at the used auto dealer and there seems to be a few problems with it. The guy was being completely honest with us, he told us that there was a misfire on one of the cylinders I believe he said 6 or 1? The ABS and service engine soon lights were on also. The car was shaking and he said that was the problem with the misfire. He didn't know much about it because he's not a mechanic and I could tell he didn't know much about Range Rovers. He said he was going to have a mechanic look at it today or tomorrow to find out if it's an expensive big problem or not. He said as-is from what he knows he would lower the price to $6500 (or more.) I tested the suspension and it works smoothly, all the electricals seem to be working fine. Should I pursue this? What do you guys think the problem is?

Old 10-21-2009 | 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

The engine is the single most expensive thing to replace on a Rover (around 6K or so). I would first get the engine codes read before even further considering it. The misfire could just be a bad O2 sensor or bad leads which isn't insanely expensive or it could be an indicator or something more serious. Get them read and get back to us.

The ABS light may just be a loose connector under the drivers seat. Might see if you can make it go away by reinserting the connector.

Did you also visually inspect the EAS bags? On an '01 they should be needing replacement soon if they haven't yet been replaced.

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:58 PM
|
Overlanding

I did not really check the airbags, even though I should have. I'm really more worried about whatever this misfire is. Whatever it is, it's making it shake.. I didn't really test drive it because he said right now it's uncomfortable to drive with the shaking. I just pulled it up and reversed and stuff. If there is a problem with the suspension later down the road I'd most likely switch it to coils. Thanks for your help, he said to call him around 8 tonight because he's going to have it checked out around 5. I'm just hoping this is an inexpensive repair so I can get a good deal. I'll update this tonight when I find out anything.

Old 10-21-2009 | 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If it is shaking so much it is uncomfortable to drive then it must be a really bad shake. Chances are it is just plugs and wires but it could be worse so if you have your own scanner take it there and see what codes come up, that way you know what and not him telling you what it is. You can even be stealthy about it too and he would never even know.

As far as the bags go, if the bags need replacing but not everything else I would replace the bags. The ride is so nice and a Rover with a good EAS is worth more than a Rover with a coil conversion in my opinion. The bags are probably cheaper too then the coil kit unless you go with the cheapest coil kit you could find.

Old 10-21-2009 | 05:29 PM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by handsome rob
If it is shaking so much it is uncomfortable to drive then it must be a really bad shake. Chances are it is just plugs and wires but it could be worse so if you have your own scanner take it there and see what codes come up, that way you know what and not him telling you what it is. You can even be stealthy about it too and he would never even know.

As far as the bags go, if the bags need replacing but not everything else I would replace the bags. The ride is so nice and a Rover with a good EAS is worth more than a Rover with a coil conversion in my opinion. The bags are probably cheaper too then the coil kit unless you go with the cheapest coil kit you could find.
He did mention that it could be the plugs and wires. I don't have my own scanner but I'm sure they do.. I could ask them to see it myself. I'll be calling the guy in about an hour and a half to find things out. I'll also be sure to check the bags next time I go up there, the EAS is definitely a nice feature.. I kept pressing the suspension buttons making it go up and down (lol). Thanks!

Old 10-21-2009 | 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you hear it run by chance? You should be able to tell if it is a rod or a miss. Wel I guess you heard it run if the suspension was working for you.

Plan on still some good oney into it though even if it is just a miss, so remember it when negotiating.

Old 10-23-2009 | 12:51 PM
|
Overlanding

UPDATE!

I called him wednesday night and he hadn't gotten it checked out yet, he said to call friday. Today is friday and I called him again, he said his mechanic didn't understand Range Rovers. So he said to call back in a couple days because he's taking it to another mechanic who would probably know what the problem is. I'm thinking about asking him if I can take it to my mechanic and leave my Montero Sport up there tomorrow. I don't know, we'll see how it goes. I don't want to seem pushy because I told him I was looking at another Range Rover.. for him to lower the price (even though I'm not.. I seriously can't find anything I'm looking for around here in Philly.)

EDIT:
I also found out more about the Range by searching the vin number. It was for sale in Maryland just a couple weeks ago for $11,995? He told me it came from Maryland. In the ad from Maryland it said it was in perfect running condition. Weird.

Last edited by dreamrr; 10-23-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: info
Old 10-25-2009 | 08:14 AM
Drifting
Default Seriously!!

Find your Local LR dealership. If he let's you take it to a mechanic. Take it there and pay the $100 it cost to do a Point Inspection workup on the vehicle. When they are done, they will give you a printout of everything that needs to be done to it, Problems, etc. I did it when i bought my 2000 RR and was glad i did. Don't go somewhere where the mechanic thinks he knows Rovers. BIG MISTAKE!!! Go to an authorized dealership and pay the money to get it checked out. TRUST ME!!

Cheers!!!

Old 10-25-2009 | 12:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It is kinda funny. I sat in my Rover yesterday just after I did new plugs and wires and I have a little vibration as well. The motor runs perfectly smooth when you look at it while sitting there idling but when in the drivers seat it does vibrate a little. I have no idea where it comes from but I thought I would share.

Old 10-25-2009 | 08:26 PM
|
Overlanding

Okay guys, I did some research and found out that these could definitely be the possible vibration problem, since they do sometimes happen with Range Rovers:

Ignition leads
Crankshift position sensor
Failure of a coil
Rebalance engine - mostly in earlier RR models not 2001
Torque converter flex plate
I don't think any of these problems are extremely expensive, but if someone knows otherwise please let me know - I'm far from a mechanic like I said before but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks Rhino, I think I'd probably do that if he lets me take it. I'll give them a call tomorrow to find out.

Handsome Rob - you could have one of those problems listed with your Rover that's giving the vibration, who knows. I heard that RR engines are supposed to be really smooth.

Quick Reply: 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE HELP!!