General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006-2008 Range Rover Purchase Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006-2008 Range Rover Purchase Decisions

I am in a unique situation. I live in a city so I use public transit. I currently have a jeep that is rather boring. I drive less than 5000 miles a year, generally longer trips to the shore or skiing once a week.

I am looking to replace my old jeep with something interesting. I have always wanted a range rover and the 2006-2008 are in my price range but all have 95k miles plus. I am looking at both the Full Size and Sport. I ultimately want the one that will be the most trouble free in my situation .

Would anyone here recommend one for a non daily driver? I'd like to get say 130-150k miles out of it relatively trouble free. I come from owning BMW's so routine maintenance and the costs associated with a premium vehicle are not something that I am unfamiliar with me. What I am having a hard time finding a general consensus on is how strong the engine and drive train is on this model. Besides items like tires, shocks, brakes etc. Should I expect any major engine maintenance? Any other big number items that I don't know about?

I tried asking in the Jeep and BMW forums and all I got was a ton of hate towards land rover and horrible they are. I was told by my fathers friends this just isn't the case. Like I also said this is not a daily driver either. I live less than a 10 minute walk from my office so this is being bought purely because I do legitimately need to get through snow and over sand. Also need a hatch because I got a dog.

Any opinions and advice as well as direction would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I want to start off by saying that getting into a Land Rover will be a life changing choice for you. I have a 2006 Range Rover and a 2006 LR3 currently and they have been very very good to me. I will say that I do like the Range Rover more than the LR3 because of the driving position and the suspension system that it has is really good. The LR3 is nice too but it does feel like a lead sled when compared to the Range Rover. If the Range Rover you purchase has been maintained and feels solid when you test drive it I believe that your problems should be minimal and it will serve you well for as long as you want to keep it. Do keep in mind that the Land Rovers do have personality and will most likely leaving you with either a LOVE or HATRED for the brand.