General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 RR 4.4 Tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 RR 4.4 Tranny leak

Hi all,

I have a 06 RR 4.4. I notic the Tranny fluid leaked to the floor. i inspected and it not from the pan at all. It came from the electrical wire connector. Does anyone have this problem and can it be repaired? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It can be repaired, and is pretty common on these transmissions. The transmission pan comes off, and there is a slide clip to release the 'valve body connector sleeve' (the part that needs to be replaced, and is leaking) The full size RR involves much less labor to replace, as the pan comes off very easy, and if you do some searching around here, maybe under LR3 or RRS, you will find several pictures of what needs to be done.

If nothing else when doing this repair, the gasket for the pan needs to be changed, and seeing as the pan itself is the filter for the trans fluid, may be a good time to replace the whole pan since it is already coming off. There is no spec on when to replace it for this model year, but on newer models, with the same essential transmission, it calls for replacement at 150k miles.

One last thing to note, I recommend replacing the bolts for the trans pan, as they like to stretch and corrode, there are 21 of them, and they're about a dollar a piece.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Manufacturers like to claim "lifetime" fluid or have crazy intervals like 150,000 miles. However, your transmission is a ZF, and ZF sent out a statement to many of the shops indicating it should be serviced every 60,000 miles.

If you do it yourself, do yourself a favor and measure how much of the sleeve protrudes from the transmission case (with the connector removed) BEFORE you remove it. When you install the new sleeve, make sure it protrudes the same as the old. Your not supposed to be able to lock the sleeve in unless its fully seated, but it CAN be done and will cause you to have to remove the pan again.

You will know if you have the old sleeve if it has orange O-rings. New sleeves have black rings.

You can purchase all of your parts for the job from zftranspart.com