General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Range Rover Sport Average18 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014 | 10:47 PM
|
4wd Low
Smile 2008 Range Rover Sport Average18 mpg

Hi friends,
is 18 mile per gallon is a good average, or i need tune up ? the reason i am asking is that i smell pure gas when i start the car in the morning. please let me know. thanks

Old 08-11-2014 | 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench

18 average is good, better then most I see, but I live in a urban area and a lot of traffic, so most vehicles around here are low.

That said, how many miles? It might be time for a tune up anyway. A lot of times a fuel smell at start up on these(assuming US spec) is caused by carbon fouling of the throttle blade, which will make you run rich while the engine is still in open loop fueling, as not enough air is entering the engine.

Try this, start it up, let it idle down after a minute of running, turn the AC on, and kick the throttle enough to raise the engine to ~1500 rpm, and let it drop back to idle(quick hit on the pedal) if the idle drops down below where it should be and kind of stumbles, your throttle body is fouled. A lot of people wills ay to pull the intake tube and clean it, however I personally do not like this method, as the blade(and internal motors) are not designed for this.

A full tune up (in my opinion, and what these engine seem to love) will be replacing the spark plugs, ignition capacitor, engine air filter(check/replace the cabin air filter too) having a induction service preformed, replacing the PCV valve and changing the engine oil.

I recommend an injection cleaning service too, as the time to do this is prior to changing the plugs, as the chemicals are harsh, and can damage the plating on them.

Old 08-11-2014 | 09:26 PM
|
4wd Low
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roverguy7

A full tune up (in my opinion, and what these engine seem to love) will be replacing the spark plugs, ignition capacitor, engine air filter(check/replace the cabin air filter too) having a induction service preformed, replacing the PCV valve and changing the engine oil.

I recommend an injection cleaning service too, as the time to do this is prior to changing the plugs, as the chemicals are harsh, and can damage the plating on them.
next sunday i am taking my truck for a full tune up, at the dealer shop. i ll ask them for all of what you above mentioned. but i think rangerover sport has no pcv vaves !!! or that what i was told earlier. i live in st louis, missouri and all my miles are highway.

thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

Old 08-12-2014 | 09:26 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by crown
but i think rangerover sport has no pcv vaves !!
You were told wrong.

PCV valve P/N - LR003380
Ignition cap P/N - LR004160(for NA, SC is different P/N)

Have them do the induction service prior to replacing the PCV valve, and if you decide to have the injection service done(I recommend it) be sure they do that before replacing the spark plugs. Oil change needs to be preformed following any of the cleaning services, as they are designed to break down oil/carbon, and will degrade the oil.