General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Range Rover Sport - is this a good deal or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Range Rover Sport - is this a good deal or no?

Hi All,

Just wanted to come here to get other owner's opinions on a used 2010 Range Rover sport, and to see if people think it is a good deal or not?

I own a 2013 Wrangler but am not happy with the ownership experience, so I started looking at Rovers, and I found this 2010 LR Sport at a local dealer, it has 58000 miles on it (a little on the low end for a car of this age), but no warranty anymore...they are willing to certify it and give it a full bumper to bumper warranty, for 4 years or another 50K miles for $4500. The car's asking price is $32,995.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this? Would you buy a car like this and get the warranty? I ran the KBB value on the car and its coming up around $31500 as a far retail price...so I know there is some wiggle room on this car, but what does everyone think about the warranty issue?

Any and all advice on this is welcome!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

seems high even if you get them to include the warranty

The following users liked this post:
Link N. Parker (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 11:16 AM
4wd Low

I agree, I think it sounds high.

I will send them an offer that is at the very low end of the range on KBB ($29,900) and throw in a warranty and see what they say. If they cant budge or whatever, then I will simply pass on this vehicle and wait for the next one to come along.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it a certified pre owned factory warranty that they are selling you?

Link N. Parker (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Pabloottawa
Is it a certified pre owned factory warranty that they are selling you?
Yes, they claim they have a certification path for this vehicle, and that there is a bumper-to-bumper, no deductible warranty that essentially extends the original factory warranty. From the way it sounded, it is a real factory warranty from Rover. You can choose a 3-year or 4-year warranty. I'm still trying to get the numbers (the sales guy has been out of the office the past couple of days) but tomorrow I will get more info on my trade and will see if I can make a good offer on the car. I'm hoping to see if they will throw in the warranty for free. If not, or if I cannot get to a number that makes sense, then I will look at a brand new Evoque...although I like the LR Sport better.

Last edited by Link N. Parker; 05-19-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Overlanding

If it is it's a good deal in my opinion. I got MY2010 in October of 2014 with the CPO Warranty due to expire in Feb 2016.... So far I've racked up well over $10,000 CDN in warranty repairs. I AM NOT COMPLAINING as my local LR dealership has been very good with me in this respect. Every repair has been paid for by LRNA and so far with the exception of fuel consumption the car has been fantastic.

My recommendation; GET A CERTIFIED PRE-APPROVED RRS and make sure it is not more than 4 years old so you have a year and a bit to find what's broken and have it fixed under warranty. To not go this route will end up making you hate the brand as who knows what you are getting until it is actually yours. Also, don't forget that a used car purchase means 1-2 years of finding all the quirks and fixing them (hopefully under warranty) and usually by the end of the first year you will have a very clear picture of where your rangie stands mechanically. It is a learning curve for you.

Last edited by Pabloottawa; 05-20-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Link N. Parker (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM
4wd Low

If it is it's a good deal in my opinion. I got MY2010 in October of 2014 with the CPO Warranty due to expire in Feb 2016.... So far I've racked up well over $10,000 CDN in warranty repairs. I AM NOT COMPLAINING as my local LR dealership has been very good with me in this respect. Every repair has been paid for by LRNA and so far with the exception of fuel consumption the car has been fantastic.

My recommendation; GET A CERTIFIED PRE-APPROVED RRS and make sure it is not more than 4 years old so you have a year and a bit to find what's broken and have it fixed under warranty. To not go this route will end up making you hate the brand as who knows what you are getting until it is actually yours. Also, don't forget that a used car purchase means 1-2 years of finding all the quirks and fixing them (hopefully under warranty) and usually by the end of the first year you will have a very clear picture of where your rangie stands mechanically. It is a learning curve for you.
Thanks Pablo. I guess for me, that is what is hard for me to accept right now, is that I am buying a car with close to 60,000 miles at this price point and buying a warranty. I also think that a car with 60,000 miles should already have the kinks worked out. I can understand an alternator going out at 80,000 miles or something, but these cars do have a reputation for not being all that reliable. I would think that at this price point, one would be buying a more reliable car...otherwise its all just 'good looks' that one is paying for. And I admit, they are good looking cars.

Well, I will talk to the dealer more today to see what they are willing to offer on the trade and to see what price points they come up with on the warranty. I'm thinking about offering $29,500 for the car, *OR* offer something like $31000 for the car but get a free warranty.

Last edited by Link N. Parker; 05-20-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 AM
4wd Low

Ok, so after going back to the dealership today, the price for this 2010, plus tax etc, was pushing $40,000...so I decided to look at a 2011 Sport that they have...better option package, but also already certified with bumper to bumper warranty for another 2 years or 100K miles....so I am REALLY thinking about making an official offer tomorrow morning on this...they also came back with a stronger offer on my trade, so I might pull the trigger on this...I'm really getting excited about this car!

So what does everyone think about 2011 Sport LUX for around $40K? Good deal, bad?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Overlanding

You should post pics and the link to the ad. It would help us help you.

Here's a comparison. I paid 45k CDN for my2010 with DCS, alcantara suede seats and rear DVD package. Mileage at the time was 71,000 KILOMETERS. It came with the CPO warranty and you know the rest. I negotiated them into replacing the brake pads and rotors prior to purchase and making sure it passed the Ontario safety and emissions. The dealership is I Montreal and for a car they claim was always services there by the client they sure butchered it. Furthermore, the 10k+ worth of warranty repairs it had done should have been done prior to purchase since it is a LAND ROVER CERTIFIED Pre-owned vehicle but hey, what can you do right?

The reality of car sales these days is that they just want to get rid of it and let the customer deal with the repairs. From what I've heard about Land Rover and their warranty department they are very quick to approve all necessary repairs and please the customeras long as it is a CPO warranty. If it isn't and you are making a claim, you may run into trouble.

Lastly, you said that for a car with 60,000 miles should have all the kinks worked out. Nothing can be further from the truth. This is a high end car and most of the brand new buyers of these types of vehicle ($100,000+ dollar purchase) have absolutely no idea how to take care of a car as complex as this and they probably just drop it off at the dealer when they have a problem and throw money buying into anything the service rep tells them so NO, chances are your purchase has some issues. Every single used car purchase is exactly the same. You buy it, drive it for a few months and start to see what it needs. After the first year you know what it needs where it stands mechanically. This is something all used car buyers need to accept, otherwise go buy a new car.

Link N. Parker (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM
4wd Low

You should post pics and the link to the ad. It would help us help you.

Here's a comparison. I paid 45k CDN for my2010 with DCS, alcantara suede seats and rear DVD package. Mileage at the time was 71,000 KILOMETERS. It came with the CPO warranty and you know the rest. I negotiated them into replacing the brake pads and rotors prior to purchase and making sure it passed the Ontario safety and emissions. The dealership is I Montreal and for a car they claim was always services there by the client they sure butchered it. Furthermore, the 10k+ worth of warranty repairs it had done should have been done prior to purchase since it is a LAND ROVER CERTIFIED Pre-owned vehicle but hey, what can you do right?

The reality of car sales these days is that they just want to get rid of it and let the customer deal with the repairs. From what I've heard about Land Rover and their warranty department they are very quick to approve all necessary repairs and please the customeras long as it is a CPO warranty. If it isn't and you are making a claim, you may run into trouble.

Lastly, you said that for a car with 60,000 miles should have all the kinks worked out. Nothing can be further from the truth. This is a high end car and most of the brand new buyers of these types of vehicle ($100,000+ dollar purchase) have absolutely no idea how to take care of a car as complex as this and they probably just drop it off at the dealer when they have a problem and throw money buying into anything the service rep tells them so NO, chances are your purchase has some issues. Every single used car purchase is exactly the same. You buy it, drive it for a few months and start to see what it needs. After the first year you know what it needs where it stands mechanically. This is something all used car buyers need to accept, otherwise go buy a new car.
You are totally correct, Pablo! Luckily, the more recent car I am talking about has only 48,000 miles on it, but you are right, you never know what things may still need to be addressed, but I guess that is what the warranty is for. I live in Chicago, so I dont drive all that much, so if there is a breakdown, you just call the tow truck and take a cab back home; rare to get "stuck", as compared to being out in a rural area.

As far as the value goes, it seems to line up with other 2011 Sport models available in the area, with similar mileage.

Quick Reply: 2010 Range Rover Sport - is this a good deal or no?